quick easy job

finaddict

Lieutenant Commander
Website
stores.ebay.com
Boat Make
Nauset
Joshbel02

Do you have a rail under the waterline there behind your splash rail? I have been looking to see if any boats have any gear like that to alleviate roll. I have a soft chine and roll like a basterd in any seas. Looks like that would help.

If that is what it appears to be please include a little info......

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Joshbel02

Do you have a rail under the waterline there behind your splash rail? I have been looking to see if any boats have any gear like that to alleviate roll. I have a soft chine and roll like a basterd in any seas. Looks like that would help.

If that is what it appears to be please include a little info......
That's a lifting rail it wont help with the roll you want rolling chocks much bigger the them and will slow you down

finaddict

Lieutenant Commander
Website
stores.ebay.com
Boat Make
Nauset
That's a lifting rail it wont help with the roll you want rolling chocks much bigger the them and will slow you down

It looked like lifting rails the last 4 feet from his stern and a rail under that going forward.

Do you know of any boats with rolling chocks that I could view or talk to? I just laid 500 lbs of lead in my keel to help. Hopefully that will do what I need. I have a 29 Nauset and it just feels like a cork out there. I was spoiled mating on some really nice DE boats over the years and I have my own now, but don't feel too safe in it with any big seas the way she rolls.

What do you run googinhater? trying to figure out if I know you.....

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
It looked like lifting rails the last 4 feet from his stern and a rail under that going forward.

Do you know of any boats with rolling chocks that I could view or talk to? I just laid 500 lbs of lead in my keel to help. Hopefully that will do what I need. I have a 29 Nauset and it just feels like a cork out there. I was spoiled mating on some really nice DE boats over the years and I have my own now, but don't feel too safe in it with any big seas the way she rolls.

Here's what you might need, this is a 32' Rawson gillnetter they use in Bristol Bay.
614_IMG_3375re_2_touched.jpg

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Those are probably dual purpose,rolling chalks/bilge keels for grounding out on.

I fished in that fishery for a few years, whenever we went dry it was usually tied together with more boats, kind of a party/barbecue atmoshere. We would even travel from district to district with 4-6 boats rafted together with only the outside boats with there motors running, it was fun.

GLA

Commander
how do you drill those holes with the motor in place?

or did you set it to mark the holes and then remove the engine to drill.

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
Fin Addict,

How big is your boat? I put lifting rails on my SISU 22 last year and it made big difference. The stern squats less and very little roll on drift. I do agree with googinhater that on a larger boat they will not be as effective at eliminating roll.

finaddict

Lieutenant Commander
Website
stores.ebay.com
Boat Make
Nauset
Fin Addict,

How big is your boat? I put lifting rails on my SISU 22 last year and it made big difference. The stern squats less and very little roll on drift. I do agree with googinhater that on a larger boat they will not be as effective at eliminating roll.

It is 29 feet with a 10 foot beam. IT has a high shear and seams light for its size. (I need to get a picture up here) After talking with the builder down at Nauset he suggested adding 400-500 lbs of lead to the keel and adding lifting rails and spray rails.

So far, I have added the 500 lbs of lead and just purchased some Volvo QL trim tabs to be installed. Still debating on the lifting rails, access to bolt them in is tough (do-able, but tough)

Do the lifting rails go just below the waterline? any science or engineering to their location for best results?

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
Lifting rails are very wide 2-3" while spray rails tent to be a smaller width. The lifting rails should go about 1"-2" below the waterline. I am sure Nauset could give a precise measurement/location. Bolting them on is the best option but my deck was installed 2-3 years ago by the previous owner and I did not want to tear up a perfectly good deck. I installed mine with 2 part Plexus and SS screws. The screws just held it in place while the Plexus cured. Lifting rails are a DIY project but it takes a lot a planing and time.

The trim tabs will help get your bow down and reduce side to side roll while underway. They will not help/cancel the roll on a drift.

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Lifting rails are very wide 2-3" while spray rails tent to be a smaller width. The lifting rails should go about 1"-2" below the waterline. I am sure Nauset could give a precise measurement/location. Bolting them on is the best option but my deck was installed 2-3 years ago by the previous owner and I did not want to tear up a perfectly good deck. I installed mine with 2 part Plexus and SS screws. The screws just held it in place while the Plexus cured. Lifting rails are a DIY project but it takes a lot a planing and time.

The trim tabs will help get your bow down and reduce side to side roll while underway. They will not help/cancel the roll on a drift.

jkporter- Do you have any photos of the lifting rails you installed on your Sisu?I'd love to see them if you have them. Did you go with 2" or 3" width? Thanks

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Nice install. It appears that you are using both a front & rear cutlass bearing on the wet tube? Is that the norm?

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
Lifting Rail Pictures

jkporter- Do you have any photos of the lifting rails you installed on your Sisu?I'd love to see them if you have them. Did you go with 2" or 3" width? Thanks

Below is a a picture of my boat with the lifting rails attached before we painted it. They are from Barbour Spray Rail, I think this is the part # Black 01059RA0732-020(G) We mounted them so the 2" section was horizontal to the water to give us the biggest surface area. Send me a PM if you would like to come over and see the boat.

IMG_0086.jpg

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
It looks great- I know the rail you used, and I'm going to make some out of wood and glass over them with similar dimensions. Thanks.

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
Eastporter, I have to ask why go through all that effort?

Top Bottom