racor filter micron scale

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
Ronnie and myself were talking this morning and we disagree on the micron scale racon has. Anyone want to clarify? I say 30 microns lets more fuel flow through a filter, and a 10 micron will let less flow through? Ronnie thinks his 2 micron is allowing even more fuel fow through..who is correct?
thanks...Tommy:confused:

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

val273

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Miss my Seabird 23....
My Papa enlightened me at an early age by telling me I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed....BUT....I would think that a fluid flowing through a more porous filter, given the same psi and filter area for both...would flow more volume...Am I wrong ???? My bet is a 30 micron (larger pores) flows more than a 2 micron with the above conditions...

WC1966

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Webbers Cove 34
Aren't they all engineered to basically flow the same amount?

The issue comes up when you start to plug them with junk. Obviously a dirtier tank will plug a 2 micron up faster than a 10 or 30.

Good discussion.
I have to go with this, :confused:

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
100% non particulate liquid (fuel,water,whatever) will flow through a 30,20,10,2 micron element at the same flow.

Fuel flow obviously slows and vacuum builds as ANY size element collects particles.

30 mic lets through under 29 micron size particles.
20 mic " " 19 "
10 mic " 9 "

2 mic traps ALL of the above.

A 2 mic will clog faster and require more vacuum than any micron size above it UNLESS the liquid is 100% particulate free.

Back to what Ronnie uses for micron size elelments (2 mic Racors), theorectically he should NEVER have to change the 7 mic filters on his Toyota.

fwiw,,,,,,,,, not much:D

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
need 10 micron and under to filter water, I would only use the 30 as a pre filter if you get lots of crap in your fuel.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
To me a dirty filter shows a problem somewhere else.

I knew that was going to show up at some point... I think I am going to go over to his system this winter. I just want to redo my fuel system into something a little bit better and smaller. I have always liked spin on filters too, not sure why.

Who are engine experts anyway? The Cummins god is one of them but we all have many gods dont we.

Bottom line to me is just make sure what you are getting is quality fuel, make sure you keep a tank clean. I've seen some horrible fuel come off a truck, Ive seen some horrible fuel come from a higher reputable dealer and also seen marina's changing their own filters and not doing it right. I feel a little more comfortable in a few marina's when I see a professional service servicing their pumps.

What amazes me is I see very very few filters ever get to the point of getting clogged up and I dont know how many hours I've run on small boats with diesel.

This laptop has spent 18 of 24 months powered by diesels that have racors on them, none of your power plants at home! So does that make me an expert?

Pedlyr

Captain
Tony Athen's Seaboard Marine article makes a good point about efficiency. Cheaper filters tend to be less efficient and trap less at a given micron rating.

I change a lot of Racors and fuel filters. Biggest problem I see is when the bowl doesn't get drained. Some people just replace the element. This lets gunk and dirt back up in the "diffuser" and check valve. This happens over time anyway and eventually has to be cleaned out.

Boat Make
40 WILLIS BEAL/31 CONTENDER
Fuel filter /air leak

I have a racor 1000 with a 10 micron filter.i got some dirty fuel causing filters to clog. Is it possible when a filter is clogged for the engine to pull half the fuel outta the racor without an air leak somewhere.
Further explained: When engine starts running eradic i shut it down open the racor and half the fuel is missing from the racor. Also the engine only runs eradic at an idle when the filter clogs never at cruising speed.
My question is could their possibly be an air leak also because of the fuel missing from the racor or is it possible for the engine to remove the fuel from the filter even with a cloggged filter before it shuts down. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
What do the engine experts have to say on this one??

I'm no expert but I beleive it's about percent of open area. So a 30 mic has the same % of open area as 2 mic. So the flow though is the same but as stated above the 2 will trap smaller particles the 30 will let through therefore clogging faster. I think the gentleman that thought the 2 might be bigger than the 30 might have been thinkning of gauge sizes like in wire or sheet metal where the smaller number is acctually bigger. Understandable.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Decent article here !

Fuel Filters

I run multi-stage..........20 micron to a 10 micron to the factory on engine fuel filter.

To me a dirty filter shows a problem somewhere else.

I knew that was going to show up at some point... I think I am going to go over to his system this winter. I just want to redo my fuel system into something a little bit better and smaller. I have always liked spin on filters too, not sure why.

Who are engine experts anyway? The Cummins god is one of them but we all have many gods dont we.

Bottom line to me is just make sure what you are getting is quality fuel, make sure you keep a tank clean. I've seen some horrible fuel come off a truck, Ive seen some horrible fuel come from a higher reputable dealer and also seen marina's changing their own filters and not doing it right. I feel a little more comfortable in a few marina's when I see a professional service servicing their pumps.

What amazes me is I see very very few filters ever get to the point of getting clogged up and I dont know how many hours I've run on small boats with diesel.

This laptop has spent 18 of 24 months powered by diesels that have racors on them, none of your power plants at home! So does that make me an expert?

Tony Athen's Seaboard Marine article makes a good point about efficiency. Cheaper filters tend to be less efficient and trap less at a given micron rating.

I change a lot of Racors and fuel filters. Biggest problem I see is when the bowl doesn't get drained. Some people just replace the element. This lets gunk and dirt back up in the "diffuser" and check valve. This happens over time anyway and eventually has to be cleaned out.

btw,

the Tony Athens/Seaboard Marine article I posted was not the most recent.

here's the up-to-date article.

Marine Fuel Filtration - The Seaboard Way

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Been debating to buy his double/double with the bulk filter before it...probably for sure this winter maybe for the fall bite as well. I want to move the filters into the cabin area where they are easier to watch then replace.

tuna

Lieutenant
i have a question do you guys use fuel additives . the reason i ask is the guys who use the additive diesel pep do'nt have that problem and they use one racor and the secondery on the engine.

Top Bottom