Radar cord lengths

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
My radar has a relitively short run from rooftop to cabin consol. was told not to screw around with cable length from antenna to view consol.(heard this for long time. nothing new.)
Consequencly, I have a ton of rolled up cable behind the plug in. Any way to get this cable shorter? Can one order a radar with certin length cable or is what you see is what you get?
Can I / you order certain lengths cable from mfgr through dealer? cable only? with new?

comments from the electronic guys here please?

Hello wharf rat! come in.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I know one some older Furuno's people just cut the cable and used a terminal board to shorten the cable. I've also heard electronic tech's for friends cut the cable and solder it.

I've sat there debating it before but left it. I think its similar to doing some transducers, check twice and cut once and take a chance, lol.

I'm sure one of the electronic guys will chime in here. I was thinking about doing mine but then just decided to mount it higher this summer so I'm in luck!

bobv

Lieutenant
When I changed my antenna mast last spring I had to re-run all cables. I had the 25' roll of radar cable that I wasn't happy to have coiled up down below. I called a well known electronics installer and asked their opinion on cutting the cable. They said that they do it frequently and that it can be done (at home) with care to splice the wires and shielding just as they were. I cut the wire to desired length and I did the splicing and solder which took about 2 hours (no expert for sure). Radar runs fine with no problems yet. FWIW

WC1966

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Webbers Cove 34
When I changed my antenna mast last spring I had to re-run all cables. I had the 25' roll of radar cable that I wasn't happy to have coiled up down below. I called a well known electronics installer and asked their opinion on cutting the cable. They said that they do it frequently and that it can be done (at home) with care to splice the wires and shielding just as they were. I cut the wire to desired length and I did the splicing and solder which took about 2 hours (no expert for sure). Radar runs fine with no problems yet. FWIW
A suggestion is to stagger the point of connection to keep the bundle size down. 50% to the left of center and 50% to the right, with heat-shrink over each solder point and then another over the whole bundle to protect it.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Is it a dome radar?I have pulled the extra wire up thru to the dome and coiled it around the outer edge of the dome and tied it up good with wire ties.Its all inside the dome if you need extra wire for some reason.Just make sure it doesn't interfere with the sweep of the radar.All you have to do is loosen up the weather tight fitting and unplug the radar on top and wind the wire around the outer most edge if the inside of the dome.Some of the newer radars have a adjustment in the meuu for signal cable length.If the cable doesn't match what the unit is calibrated for,targets are not the correct distance on the screen.I think Furuno has 5,15 and 30 meter cables.

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
thanks everyone for the replys. kinda what I thought.
traditions...I do have a domed unit and will take a peek. nice idea.

Bawugna

Lieutenant
Radar cord

A while ago I had the same situation and wanted to shorten a radar wire. I have a JRC and called the Manufacturer. They said that it is ok to cut the wire as long as you solder carefully and sheild as before. The tech told me that the in the newer units, the heads are little more than displays and all of the important information comes "finished" from the dome. In times past, the information came from the dome to the head and got interpreted, there was timed information that could mess up the final display info. I would call the MFG of the unit just to make sure. And the staggering idea is the only way to go.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
By all means don't cut if you can coil. Someday you may be happy to have the cable and if you resell, well who wants a radar w/ 5' cable...
Electronically, it makes no difference w/ new radars.

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
We try to never cut any analog cables, but for mast bases or situations like yours, we use the Newmar PX-2 junction box. It's waterproof, and was built specifically for a radar cable splice. However, depending on the age of the radar, you might have to readjust the timing. God bless the new ethernet based radars, just snip and crimp on an EZ-RJ45 connector. Take a look below, great info from Furuno on what makes a radar work and what's involved, plus some good tips.
Furuno's Guide to Radar

RKPT_lobsta

Lieutenant
I'm in the same boat I've got a 30 foot cable and the run is only 5 feet from the dome to the radar unit. I was wonder if it was ok to wrap the cord around the outside of the mast and then cover it with some white vinyl to make it look smooth and keep the sun and elements away from the cable?

Thanks
John

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
I would try to keep the cables in the house if you can no need to have it up in the mast if you need it up there tradition has a great idea for that if it not a dome find a place to hide it in the house it will pay off in the long turm

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
RKPT Lobsta! Hi John..sent you 2 PM's. did you get them?:confused:

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.