Radar mount?

Bawugna

Lieutenant
Hi Folks, I have another item I hope you can help me with. I have an older JRC 1500 Radar. I really like the unit, easy to use and powerful enough for what I do.....well, this weekend I found out that the mount that holds the display head has cracked at the attachment bolt points. I have lost one side of the mounting strength and I have it mounted from the ceiling of the boat. I am obviously worried that a couple of good jolts from waves or whatever will toss the unit into my lap while I am underway.

Does anyone know of a source for one of these mounts? JRC has not made this unit for a while and I fear that they will tell me that I am outta luck :( I wanted to check here first as you guys seem to be the "in the know" types when it comes to such things. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Jim

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
make a new bracket out of some aluminum or repair the broken part, i bet a sheet metal shop could fix it fast.

Bawugna

Lieutenant
That is a good idea, the only catch is that the original mount has a sort of tongue that clicks onto a receiving flap on the display. Now having a base for the base made might be an option, it attaches to the clicking portion simply by a bolt.......Hmmmmmm might have to look into that :cool: While I seek out a permanent fix, I am going to simply put a wood or metal strip across it to secure it to the mounting bolts.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
a good shop could tig weld a new piece in to fix the part that was broken. Post a picture if possible there is plenty of talent on here to get it fixed.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
where are you located??? I own a welding and fabrication shop. If you are nearby, I would be able to help you out.

Bawugna

Lieutenant
I am in the Phila/NJ area. I think we may be thinking about different mounts. My Dome mount is fine. I had that welded up locally a few years back. The mount that I am having trouble with is the plastic mount for the display unit. It is mounted in the Wheelhouse overhead. I may be able to have someone make one up out of aluminum or I might even make one up out of wood. It is a square affair with a center mounting hole for a bolt and 4 corner screw holes for mounting to the helm or ceiling. I am so bad with putting photos up here I will have to give myself some sort or tutorial. Thanks for all the replies. I called a company that sells all manner of JRC stuff and they called JRC to get the part. JRC said that they no longer make it. Unless I can find one in the aftermarket or have a new base made up either in metal or wood, I am outta luck :mad:

If anyone knows of an aftermarket source for these things please share.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I'd have one made up for ya in a hour or less, piece of aluminum stock put it in my metal break to form the sides, drill holes for the mount and cut a couple of slots on the sides for the unit to slide/bolt into, done. OK paint it if you like:D

Top Bottom