Rail placement

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
I know this is not a new topic but I took some pics to share. I am interested in replacing my rails with slightly wider and longer rails. I believe they are placed to high and should be lower ( on the chine) but I'm no expert. The reason why I would be replacing them would be to hopefully improve my ride in a quartering sea, a little drier ride and maybe even improve overall performance

image.jpg

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Couldn't figure out how to put multiple photos in one post.

image.jpg

Last edited:

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Based on your water line they do not look to high. However you are correct they should have followed the chined line. Lower those rail is a very big job. You have a colored hull so every hole needs to be filled and matched. Is your hull cored? That also makes the job much harder.
Lower the rails may hold a little spray down. Lower them will not give you any noticeable bow lift, so performance will not improve.
The spray rails really do there big job on those heavy following sea days, when the bow gets push down and the rail helps to keep the water walls down & the bow up.

I cannot I.D. you hull. It would be nice to see other pictures of other boats like yours and get some comments before you start what could be a thankless, hard cosmetic job, with very little return.
Nice looking skiff….hard chined?

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Based on your water line they do not look to high. However you are correct they should have followed the chined line. Lower those rail is a very big job. You have a colored hull so every hole needs to be filled and matched. Is your hull cored? That also makes the job much harder.
Lower the rails may hold a little spray down. Lower them will not give you any noticeable bow lift, so performance will not improve.
The spray rails really do there big job on those heavy following sea days, when the bow gets push down and the rail helps to keep the water walls down & the bow up.

I cannot I.D. you hull. It would be nice to see other pictures of other boats like yours and get some comments before you start what could be a thankless, hard cosmetic job, with very little return.
Nice looking skiff….hard chined?

Yes hard chine. It's a 26' seaway I'm not concerned about cosmetics i actually painted the hull last season and intend on doing some touch up anyway. this spring I intend to finish the boat off it's been a two year refit from all electric to tanks, bright work etc. she's off getting repowered as we speak and I should have it back around April 1st and want to have anything and everything that I plan on doing ready to rock.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Repower....That will change a lot in the running angle of the boat. Maybe you should wait until sea tested with the new power. Gets some running shots and then revisit the rails. Is she cored? What will the new power be? what was the old power?

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Repower....That will change a lot in the running angle of the boat. Maybe you should wait until sea tested with the new power. Gets some running shots and then revisit the rails. Is she cored? What will the new power be? what was the old power?

I do plan on running the boat before making any rail changes however I'm not sure that the repower will change the attitude of the boat but then again I would love to be wrong.
She is cored so I would need to decore etc. the old power was 260hp 5.7 carb with a 1.9:1 and the new power will be a 5.7 300 hp mpi fwc with 2:1 zf gear

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
or would it make sense seeing how that the hull is cored to simply increase the width of the rails and length a little and place them in the same spot. This way they would stay above the water line and therefore minimize decoring/ color touch up etc...

Last edited:
Top Bottom