raising gunnels

mtkjohn

Lieutenant
hey everbody im new to the site just purchased a 1989 35 duffy was wondering how I can build up my gunnles instead of putting on hand rails i see downweast boats that look like the build them up some how any opions just dont like the hand rail look

You have a couple of options. You could use solid wood as suggested. sealed and painted or use one of the wood alternatives, such as TREX. Which is an extruded product from lumber yards. Starboard may be another option. I have used this in thicknesses up to 1 1/2".

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Install Lee Boards on your 35 Duffy. The photo shows the look. Lee Boards were originally designed to keep debris out of the boats when hauling pots. but they also work well for more cockpit depth.

hauler.jpg

Picture 061.jpg

Picture 023.jpg

mtkjohn

Lieutenant
i like the lee board look thats what im looking for where can i buy this material im lookin for my gunnles to be 32 inches high off the deck thanks for your help guys

clammer64

Lieutenant Commander
Just raised mine 5.5" on my Bhm. I used 3/4 mdo plywood and cut it at 12". Bolted it thru with countersunk headed bolts on the outside and recess nuts that sit flush to the existing 1" lip on the topside of the gunwale leaving 6" below the gunwale height and approx 5" above so there is a nice "wall" to lean against when at the rail. I also trimmed it parallel to the top of the gunwale so it follows the shape of the hull from the side. Glassed it in and it looks killer and is really strong. I could also tie it into the hull from the underside if I thought it needed it.

Sailorgp

Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 26
lee boards vs. coamings

In the interest of accuracy I'd like to humbly mention that what we're talking about here and what are shown on the gorgeous Blue Marlin are not called lee boards. They're more accurately called coamings. Lee boards are used on sailboats and are similar in function to a centerboard but are instead mounted on the outside of the hull port & starboard as shown in the drawing below...
leeboards.jpg

leeboards.jpg

hmscapecod

Lieutenant
hey everbody im new to the site just purchased a 1989 35 duffy was wondering how I can build up my gunnles instead of putting on hand rails i see downweast boats that look like the build them up some how any opions just dont like the hand rail look

Congratulations! Any pics of her?

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
In the interest of accuracy I'd like to humbly mention that what we're talking about here and what are shown on the gorgeous Blue Marlin are not called lee boards. They're more accurately called coamings. Lee boards are used on sailboats and are similar in function to a centerboard but are instead mounted on the outside of the hull port & starboard as shown in the drawing below...
View attachment 16006

Ok you win, but we always called them lee boards. Coamings as they may be it is all the same. I would use the plywood for extra strength as stated. then glass into place. I think that before install I would cover the boards with fiberglass one layer, next install then glass into the wash rails.

mudhake

Captain
we have called THEM SISSY RAils since I was a kid. Put them on a LOT OF LOW RAILED FISH BOATS OVER THE YEARS,

Top Bottom