Raising the Orient Star 2

yanmar

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
26 chesepeake 22 tripp
Today I was part of a team that raised the Orient Star 2 . Was no easy task but we managed to get to the sling and on land . We had to tie the boat off to the barge with pumps running and go about 3 miles to the marina . I will get picks of her on land tomorrow my battery in my phone died and im to tired to go back tonite .

Last edited:

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

yanmar

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
26 chesepeake 22 tripp
How sad!!!!
I fished on that boat in Montauk many times. It was the Capt. Willie (Bill Butler) after which it became the Lazybones and then The Orient Star.
Such a beautiful boat---such a sad sight.
Good luck with its future endeavors.
That was her last ride ...............

Alison Tuna

Captain
Boat Make
Privateer
here's the story

i sold that boat 2 years ago. it was fully inspected for 38 passengers for lakes bays and sounds. we put a new deck in her when we did the fuel tank as well as a new $3500 bulkhead and the motor was without a doubt the strongest cleanest 671 around. it had a manual transmission and the fuel tank was 120 gallons on deck aluminum and it was 1 season old.

boat was my uncles boat in Orient Point for several years. my cousin and I bought the boat and used it for a season and did real well. we decided to upgrade to the existing beast of a boat we have now. you cant even compare the 2.

this boat has quite the history. its elegant and when painted up it always caught my eye. its a 50 foot price built boat built in 1955 and the hull was like a rock.

when we decided to sell the boat we put it on ebay and sold it to a nice guy in NJ who said he owned a jetski rental company. im still not really sure what the plan was after he bought it.

towards the last few years we had the boat, we really pick and chose our days....if it was blowin'...we weren't going ..... reason being.....my uncle and cousin sunk a boat with passengers on and no matter what anyone says..... until your put in that position...... you make different decisions.

the season on that boat ended around Halloween because the weather in the east end can really kick your ass and being on an 8 knot boat into a 4 knot current coming back from fishers can really be stressful.

we sold the boat around thanksgiving and the guy made the run from Orient Poiunt to NJ......I would never had done it... first he ran aground at the beginning of his trip....then called and said bells and whistles were going off approaching the inlet towards the end of the trip. those bells and whistles are called high water alarms....

I have to find pictures of this boat when we painted her.....georgeous.....low to the water...so easy to work as a deckhand....

and as an owner......burining 10 gallons of fuel a day was awesome...

if I have to be honest...... these pictures break my heart as my uncle put his heart and sole into this boat...

check our site at www.orientstarfishing.com.... might be pictures of it there..

truly breaks my heart.

Warm Regards,

Gary Greco
Orient Star IV

Last edited:

fugazy99

Ensign
wow

i sold that boat 2 years ago. it was fully inspected for 38 passengers for lakes bays and sounds. we put a new deck in her when we did the fuel tank as well as a new $3500 bulkhead and the motor was without a doubt the strongest cleanest 671 around. it had a manual transmission and the fuel tank was 120 gallons on deck aluminum and it was 1 season old.

boat was my uncles boat in Orient Point for several years. my cousin and I bought the boat and used it for a season and did real well. we decided to upgrade to the existing beast of a boat we have now. you cant even compare the 2.

this boat has quite the history. its elegant and when painted up it always caught my eye. its a 50 foot price built boat built in 1955 and the hull was like a rock.

when we decided to sell the boat we put it on ebay and sold it to a nice guy in NJ who said he owned a jetski rental company. im still not really sure what the plan was after he bought it.

towards the last few years we had the boat, we really pick and chose our days....if it was blowin'...we weren't going ..... reason being.....my uncle and cousin sunk a boat with passengers on and no matter what anyone says..... until your put in that position...... you make different decisions.

the season on that boat ended around Halloween because the weather in the east end can really kick your ass and being on an 8 knot boat into a 4 knot current coming back from fishers can really be stressful.

we sold the boat around thanksgiving and the guy made the run from Orient Poiunt to NJ......I would never had done it... first he ran aground at the beginning of his trip....then called and said bells and whistles were going off approaching the inlet towards the end of the trip. those bells and whistles are called high water alarms....

I have to find pictures of this boat when we painted her.....georgeous.....low to the water...so easy to work as a deckhand....

and as an owner......burining 10 gallons of fuel a day was awesome...

if I have to be honest...... these pictures break my heart as my uncle put his heart and sole into this boat...

check our site at www.orientstarfishing.com.... might be pictures of it there..

truly breaks my heart.

Warm Regards,

Gary Greco
Orient Star IV

That is heartbreaking. She was a beast in her day. Totally sucks.

fugazy99

Ensign
Boat has alot of history

Never want to see that. Great memories of that beast. Especially UB in the Pilot House with a cigar. Total fishin boat. Im sure those pics put a tear in some eyes. Wouldnt wanna be in the room when Billy sees them

Top Bottom