Raising the roof

moetuna

Commander
I was checking out a 28 northern bay . Doesn't have enough headroom . Could anyone tell me what it takes to raise that roof approx. 6" . Could make the difference on buying, or not.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
The easiest way is to remove the windows....then make your cuts down the middle of the windows......now ad in your pieces ...say 4 or 6 inches...send me a PM...if you need it done

Last edited:

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
The roof would have to be sectioned too. the rear bulkhead windows could probably be enlarged but the sides and front are raked so the angle of them needs to be changed and there are a number of ways to do that but none easy.

Think about cutting through the windshield horizontally then lifting the top. The angle of the frame stays the same but the roof would have to be shortened in front to make them line up or the lower section of the window frame would have to be moved forward to be in the same plane as the upper.

Had a friend who chopped and sectioned his car roof and I helped make the cuts years ago- same thing.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
The roof would have to be sectioned too. the rear bulkhead windows could probably be enlarged but the sides and front are raked so the angle of them needs to be changed and there are a number of ways to do that but none easy.

Think about cutting through the windshield horizontally then lifting the top. The angle of the frame stays the same but the roof would have to be shortened in front to make them line up or the lower section of the window frame would have to be moved forward to be in the same plane as the upper.

Had a friend who chopped and sectioned his car roof and I helped make the cuts years ago- same thing.
sorry it's not the same as chopping a car roof..

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make

Actually much simpler since the panels are pretty flat on a boat, only one door too....

My only point was that that pic made it look like that was all that needed doing when in fact the roof would have to be cut into a number of pieces and extension pieces fabricated to bring it all back together. Never did it on a boat or even a car but I get the process either way. Have to plan your cuts to minimize work and maximize the use of what you have.

33youngbrothers

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
33' YB
might be easier to just cut the cabin off from the trunk and start fresh. use the old cabin as a mold, and just make the height taller. then glass back on the top.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
O.M.G. Stop trying to make this something it isn't.....I have done this job before not just read a bunch on the web.......sometimes you guys think to much.....from shortening the top to removing core in different spots to cut the whole thing off and build new.....the guy asked if someone knew what was involved ...not for someone to guess what had to be done....

Last edited:

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
What's involved: 99% planning 1% labor

Yes you will have to make some cuts and you'll have a lot more dust then you ever thought possible but it's not overly impossible or difficult.

A few rolls of blue tape will be you friend. Sit down with a sketch pad and a tape measure, maybe a few frosty beverages of your choice (moderation is key though, otherwise results may vary and you'll be "that guy" with the funky looking boat down at your local wharf).

Measure twenty times and cut once.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
I was checking out a 28 northern bay . Doesn't have enough headroom . Could anyone tell me what it takes to raise that roof approx. 6" . Could make the difference on buying, or not.

Post a pic of the boat if you can. Would probably help here. Maybe someone who has done it could put a guesstimate number to it.

Would be some choices to make. For example, the old windows, depending on the size and what you wanted it to look like, might be able to be re-used which would save you a couple grand right there. Depending on what is on the roof (just lights and antennaes or a/c, a bridge?) there would be another 50 questions.

The sectioning/cutting/fabrication of the extension pieces and glassing it all back together is where the work is at. Then it would all have to be finished in some way in/out. Big job in my opinion (from a man hours perspective). Maybe not complicated for the pros but still bunch of work.

Sorry if talking about it bothers you MDI. No one has answered the guys question yet though so thought I would try and move things along.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Just cut the whole top off and raise the sheer, simple. :)

Fish220sr

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
29' Webbers Cove
Last edited:

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Post a pic of the boat if you can. Would probably help here. Maybe someone who has done it could put a guesstimate number to it.

Would be some choices to make. For example, the old windows, depending on the size and what you wanted it to look like, might be able to be re-used which would save you a couple grand right there. Depending on what is on the roof (just lights and antennaes or a/c, a bridge?) there would be another 50 questions.

The sectioning/cutting/fabrication of the extension pieces and glassing it all back together is where the work is at. Then it would all have to be finished in some way in/out. Big job in my opinion (from a man hours perspective). Maybe not complicated for the pros but still bunch of work.

Sorry if talking about it bothers you MDI. No one has answered the guys question yet though so thought I would try and move things along.
I have answered the mans question in a PM...it bothers me when a guy like you comes on this site and claims to be new at fiberglass and you say iam no expert but a few months go by and now your are a expert....you do it time and time again...you butt in and then say ...a wait for someone with more knowledge to chime in.....how about just listen once in a while....you came on here and you say iam here to contribute ...but it's always I have a better way.....but let's ask one of the builders.......hull truth here we come

Last edited:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
why couldn't just cut all around under the windows add the 6" piece in then glass it all back. or cut above the windows or cut both above & below windows and add the pieces. I realize it needs to look good but i can't see having to replace the windows just to raise the house a bit.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
why couldn't just cut all around under the windows add the 6" piece in then glass it all back. or cut above the windows or cut both above & below windows and add the pieces. I realize it needs to look good but i can't see having to replace the windows just to raise the house a bit.

Most guys will cut thru the window frame to save hours of glassing in big sections....it's easier to glass the smaller uprights....either way it's gunna cost the same.....labor for glass work or new glass for the windows

moetuna

Commander
Thanks everyone . It's all good . I got a pretty good idea , the low, the high $$$$ of this job. I made the broker 2 offers = now. We'll see what happens . This is a wicked site. You guys are great. Thanks very much. Not to say don't keep the opinions, comments from coming. Can't get enough information from those who know . Thanks

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make

This is a discussion forum last I checked. This is not discussion. Furthermore, not that it matters now, but I dont think its even true (raising a car roof with at least 2 doors that need to be extended, compound curves in steel, custom glass, welding and paint, never mind interiors...?). Pretty sure raising the roof on a FG boat is going to be less man hours than a steel car. Maybe the stupidest sentence I have ever typed towards an adult but here we are.

I like to talk about things here and as far as I know, I have never said anything rude or not in the interest or direction of moving a point, mine or someone elses or just the general discussion of all things DE, forward and the statement quoted above is something that serves no one IMO.

You clearly know what you're doing with fiberglass (seen your FB page) but look at this thread before I made my comment that prompted you to make this comment. No help for the OP and your post was just more of the same. I bumped the thread and you didnt like it because you know what you're doing and obviously dont like me commenting on things I am learning about. I dont see any reason for it because it just uses bandwidth and doesnt help the OP.

Whats the point if people who arent already experts are punished for posting? Did I miss the part where, if you are new and have your own ideas, you shouldnt speak up? Think I have taken 99% of the advice recieved to heart and been gracious about it... I like to think there are more people here that enjoy the movement that I bring to this site than there are those who dont. I could be wrong but the threads I start seem to have some interest and I am polite at all times. The comment I made in this thread in response to your short, rude post was the first I have made in more than 1000 that had any attitude of any sort.

I see this place for what it is, a tremendous resource of people willing to share and interested in learning and try to forward that efffort- trying to fit in and serve the cause and learn something at the same time. Think you should chill out a bit if it bothers you.

Top Bottom