raymarine c70

05bill

Captain
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
question, i have a 2004 c70 with radar , depth, chart, the whole package. can i upgrade with a new screen, c120 or a newer screen without changing everything else with new components ?

thanks,

05bill

Captain
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
hi i have the c70, with all the bells and whistles, i have had no trouble with it since 2004. i would like to get a bigger screen 120, 140. the question is if i get bigger screen do i have to get new radar ,gps, fish finder ,etc. or will the old ,2004, devices be compatible with a new 120, or 140 screen, or will i need to buy all new components ?

thanks

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
You can go from a C70 to any of the C Classic OR E Classic displays. The C80 and C120 would be direct replacements - same cables, connectors, the works. Remember, they have to be the C Classic, NOT any of the C Wide or lower case 'c' models like the c125/c127/c95/c97.

If you wanted to go with a E Classic series (E80,E120), everything EXCEPT the sounder module would directly connect to the display. If you have a DSM300/DSM30 sounder module (NOT A DSM250!) you are able to connect to an E Series via a different network (SeatalkHS vs. HSB2). However, if you DO end up grabbing an E series I would then recommend (MANDATE) you send in that DSM to Raymarine, who will literally replace it free of charge with a current CP370 sounder, as the DSM300/30 series had a major issue when connecting to an E Series system..

All that aside, back to your main question -
If you do stick with a C Series (Classic)h, you'll be able direct connect with every component, even the chart.

05bill

Captain
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
thank you warf rat. actually i have a c80, would like to go to the c120 or bigger and i think my dsm is a 300. i sent it back couple of yrs ago, having trouple with depth, and they looked it over and sent it back, may be the 250 purchased in 2004. do they make a new classic c120 or preferable a larger ? and does it have a touch screen ? and can i trade in my c80 ?

thank you

Wharf Rat

Forum Sponsor
Website
Boat Make
OPB
unfortunately the only options would be to go with one of the 'Classic' C or E series displays. If you really did want to get a bigger machine or touchscreen, you could still use your existing sounder/transducer but you would have to purchase a new 'Digital' Radar. That is the one thing, along with a new chart, that has to be replaced as your existing radar is analog and simply can't tie into any of the displays from the C/E Wides on. At least the radars are color, and compared to other manufacturers, actually considerably less expensive, but it's still a big chunk to consider if you're really dying to go with a newer display..

One OTHER option would be to KEEP your existing C series as a Radar/backup plotter, etc and grab a machine for plotting/fishfinder. I do have access to factory reman e125 and e165 displays if you're really considering getting something that much bigger with touch controls.. make sure you have some room though..

05bill

Captain
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
Thank you warf rat. Do you come across any refurbished c120 ?

What would be the price ? Everything is working well put about 100 hours on a yr dont really go any where the c series fits my need and has been reliable. I think it was one of the first made or assempled in england

Thank you

Wharf Rat

Forum Sponsor
Website
Boat Make
OPB
those C series machines were and still are rock solid.. my boss used his C120 to go up and down the coast.. we've stepped his gear up just a bit since then..:wink:
I literally send any old gear down to my boy who runs a shop in FL, Max Marine ELectronics. His name is Max, of course. (754) 220-6565

He rebuilds those C-series displays as well as just about every Raytheon machine/control every made, not to mention a bunch of other brands.REALLY a good guy, honest and knows his sht. He usually has rebuilt machines in stock, I would give him a call and you can let him know I sent you over. He'll take care of you.

05bill

Captain
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
I contacted your son, he will keep an eye opened for the c120. you mention i could use an e120 if i had a dsm 300 ,am I correct ? how much for the dsm 300, if i dont have it and for a refurbished e series 120 ?

thank you sir

Wharf Rat

Forum Sponsor
Website
Boat Make
OPB
Ahahah! I got a call from Max today, wondering what happened. To clarify, Max is NOT my son, when I said he was my 'boy', I was speaking in the vernacular for my age demographic, derived from the old school 'homeboy'. Sorry for any confusion, but no one was more confused than Max! Hysterical.. :D

I don't really sell reman/refurb equipment that's not factory rebuilt. Max is the man as he still has parts and the ability to rebuild a lot of the older gear that Raymarine/Raytheon and other companies don't do anymore. I did speak to him and he does in fact have a E120 in stock that he serviced (replaced the CCFL/backlight board), but you'd have to speak to him for the price. No sense in me getting involved as a middle man causing you to pay more than you have to.

One thing to know though is that if you DO have a DSM300/DSM30, do NOT use that with the E-Series, you would want to send that right to Raymarine as they will replace it with a CP370 (their current model) for FREE!

The majority of DSM300s had issues when connected to an E-Series network as they communicated over SeatalkHS (ethernet) and due to multiple issues, there would be 'DSM Connection Lost' error messages that could drive someone crazy. Part of it was the original power cable, as well as the software which was at least rectified with SW 4.20 however when FLIR purchased Raymarine, one of the first things they did was offer a Voluntary Swap out to anyone with a DSM300 or DSM30 - NOT a DSM250, different animal.

Long story short, if you wanted to step it up to the E120, you would need to confirm the sounder you have now, and go from there.
If think you might want to bite the bullet and go for one of the newer HybridTouch displays like the e125, I do have factory remans available for around 1900.. Remember though, you would have to replace your radar to a digital. If it's a dome, it's not that expensive and might be worth it to go with a full color unit that goes for 13 hundred and change, but if you have an open array it's closer to 3K to replace so it's more to swallow.. For the sounder, same process would apply if you have the DSM, send it in, get a replacement, and you'd be able to use that with the newer machines.

Decisions, Decisions. Sorry to overcomplicate, but figured I'd give you the full low down.. enjoy the Fourth Bill!!

05bill

Captain
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
Morning, thank you for the information. I bet I surprised Max indicating his lineage .

Can I just put ,wire a flat screen t.v. to the c80 some how ? Its the screen that I would like to get bigger, everything else is very adequate.

thank you , Bill

Top Bottom