Raymarine clear view

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by CaptainHinckley, Oct 25, 2018.

1. CaptainHinckley

CaptainHinckley Senior Member

Agriculture, Horticulture
    Boat Make:
    1998 29' Sea Ray 1980 Bruno Stillman 35
    Looking for Opinions
    Always been a Garmin user but we need to update for next year and Raymarine keeps grabbing our attention.

Marketing Gimmicks or an advancement in marine navigation?

2. Henry

Henry Senior Member

None!
    Boat Make:
    Duffy 31
    I am facing the same decision. I have a new to me boat with older Raymarine instruments that I want to replace. I have always used Garmin instruments and find them far more user friendly and intuitive to use than Raymarine. I saw both Raymarine and Garmin at the boatshow last month and could be persuaded to change.
    My view is that they both generate the same information - speed, depth, location and what is in front of you - from the same satellites. The only question is how easy is it to access the data and I think Garmin may have the edge.
    Henry

3. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    While the drone/UAV thing works well, personally I think it's more marketing fluff than groundbreaking practical use, although it is pretty cool.. the ClearCruise augmented reality function is actually pretty slick. It uses a stabilizing sensor for heading/alignment for the data overlays on the video, and they continue to be out front of everyone else when it comes to innovation through software without sacrificing the systems' reliability that's still 100 times more important.. They were very smart in designing their Lighthouse OS software and future-proofing their hardware so even people who had older equipment were able to update to Lighthouse 2, Lighthouse 3, etc.
    Honestly we've been very impressed with everything Raymarine has done since the FLIR acquisition, so was the USCG, enough so that they actually chose Raymarine for their SINS-2 Contract which is all the nav equipment on everything from their 47' down. Very well built equipment, and honestly an amazing support system on the back end when it comes to warranty. I'd HIGHLY recommend going with Raymarine vs. Garmin if you're thinking about any kind of longevity with the refit, as we're dealing with a huge amount of people who got full Garmin systems (GPSMAP 4000/5000 &6000/7000 series) that have failed and out of warranty, and there is zero support for any of those machines. Not very comforting knowing that when they discontinue a product, there is ZERO access to parts/spares or replacement units.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  4. CaptainHinckley

CaptainHinckley Senior Member

Agriculture, Horticulture
    Boat Make:
    1998 29' Sea Ray 1980 Bruno Stillman 35
    Thanks for your professional opinion WR.
    We have always used Garmin products on our boats mostly because they were pre installed by the previous owners choices but it’s what we learned to use so continued on this line. They have served us well in the capacity we use them under.
    It’s always been more than a peeve of ours that Garmin would stop offering any kind of real solution to older unit support and updates.
    As mentioned above most any unit will provide the basic info most boats are liable to need while out on the water. That’s certainly the case with us as coastal mariners in fair conditions. Boils down to visual appeal and how the captain understands ( takes the time to learn) the software I guess.
    Raymarine products keep coming up in conversation or periodicals and of late has been of interest to us.
    Great to hear how supportive and forward thinking they are yet don’t leave behind loyal users. The fact that the US Coast Guard is using this stuff says a lot to me about the quality. Raymarine just might be what we are looking for. It’s certainly worth a closer look.

5. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    CaptainHinckley likes this.