Re-doing my deck

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Here is a system that works very well. if you are on raw wood then you can substitute gelcote for Interlux deck paint. The key is the aerosol as it absorbers the color of the paint of gelcote.

Aerosil works the best. Unlike play sand the aerosil absorbs the color of the gelcote. In doing so, no matter how hard you scrub or things drag it always stays in the color. The play sand wears through and you get those read-out marks and dark colored specks.

Looking at your deck. I would re coat the entire surface. Here is my method:

1- You will need two gallons of gelcote. One waxed the other no wax. You will use it all on what appears to be about a 10 X 10 cockpit sole.
2. Sand it real good & wash it with acetone.
3. Once done start with the no waxed gelcote and a good low nap roller.
4. Mix the gelcote one quart at a time. You should have an assistant to mix for you.
5. As you finish the 1st quart keep going with the second then the third until the entire deck is covered once.
6. Each fresh quart requires a fresh roller and mixing container.
7. Once done roll it a second time same way. The deck will be tackie which is good. So have plenty of throw away cotton white socks.
8. Once the second coat is down you should see no read out and the color should look consistent. You want the wax coat to go on nicely as it will be only a one coat shot.
9. Mix the Aerosil into the waxed gelcote a little at a time. Make sure you are well covered up as the aerosol goes air borne pretty easy. Keep mixing in the aersoil with no harder until you get the nice pasty consistency you need. Next with a full nap roller roll a small test section with no harder to make sure you have the non skid look you want.
10. Once you do, then start rolling one quart and a time until covered.
11. What is also key is that once you start rolling do not stop until all three coats are down. You will get the best adhesion putting the coats down quickly on the tackie non wax primer coats.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

jawz

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
23 sea craft - 31 bertram

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I have seen a few old Boston Whalers done with the Ultra Tough matching original blue color interior. It appears to be very impact resistant and tends to "self heal" if you slice it by accident. It does not chip. Not a show quality finish, but not bad at all. I kind of liked the stuff. The owners of both boats were very happy with the product.

Top Bottom