Rear bench that folds away

AJ2020

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy 35
I would like to add a bench along the transom of my 35 Duffy....I would like it to fold down toward the floor when not in use so it wont interfere with fishing...anyone ever done this? I was wondering if there was a hinge I could mount under the gunnel that would make the seat able to fold back toward the transom and be secured there....I was thinking something simple like the boat in the pic... boat bench.jpg

Last edited:

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
the legs/braces could be hinged on the gunwales or inside transom to swing out and support the bench when needed. I like the idea! make sure you share the project progress on the site :)

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
I would skip the legs and hang it by rope or chain from the underside of the wash rail on either side. Or better yet have it slide out from under the stern deck and be supported the same way in the front corners. That way when you were done using it you could slide it in out of the way. Only issue would be rod holders I think.

AJ2020

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy 35
The rod holders would prevent the slide option but I do like the chain idea.

leaky

Vice Admiral
Just another opinion, if you fish stuff like this is a real bummer, even if it folds. Clutter you are stuck with 100% of the time for potentially using it 10%.

A better approach I think is get 2 or 3 fold up deck chairs - store out of the boat until needed or up forward (usually if you have bench seat types its a planned event). Those will also be infinitly more useful and comfortable than a bench - good for anywhere on the boat, beach, or the dock, even most fishing boats have one of these kicking around somewhere:

Ie this sorta thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Leadpro-Folding-Deck-Chair-Boat/dp/B07R78B8DK

Wise® - Deluxe Series 31" H x 25" W x 23" D Brite White Offshore Folding Deck Chair

DBM

Commander
Lite User

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

DBM

Commander
Lite User

cobia23

Commander
First Name
Paul
These are the hinges you want for a folding transom seat. There made by Gemlux and are very sturdy. I don’t know if two would be enough if your looking to do the full width of the boat.
1619365396981.jpeg

Top Bottom