rebuild or swap?

bestfish

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
36' Harris Cuttyhunk
Thinking and pricing what to do with a worn out 6cta. Any input?

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Thinking and pricing what to do with a worn out 6cta. Any input?
How badly is the 6CTA "worn out"?
What is the CPL of the 6C ?
Number of hours?
History?, any overheats, piston/liner replacements etc.?
Water intrusion through the exhaust turbo??

New is always NICE !!!

Curious,

Bill D

bestfish

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
36' Harris Cuttyhunk
How badly is the 6CTA "worn out"?
What is the CPL of the 6C ?
Number of hours?
History?, any overheats, piston/liner replacements etc.?
Water intrusion through the exhaust turbo??

New is always NICE !!!

Curious,

Bill D
not sure of the CPL off the top of my head, I'm not near the boat. It was burning oil at a furious pace last time it ran (about 3/4 gal in 30 minutes). I'm guessing at 5500 hours, but hard to tell. When I bought the boat the tach "hadn't worked in years". It has been overheated, possibly gotten wet though I've never gotten a straight answer on that. The aftercooler housing has been marine texed together because of condensation water freezing inside. If it was a simple piston and liner job I wouldn't even consider a swap. My fear is that if I rebuild, then it will be a turbo, then an injection pump, ect. ect. Whats it worth as a running core?

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
not sure of the CPL off the top of my head, I'm not near the boat. It was burning oil at a furious pace last time it ran (about 3/4 gal in 30 minutes). I'm guessing at 5500 hours, but hard to tell. When I bought the boat the tach "hadn't worked in years". It has been overheated, possibly gotten wet though I've never gotten a straight answer on that. The aftercooler housing has been marine texed together because of condensation water freezing inside. If it was a simple piston and liner job I wouldn't even consider a swap. My fear is that if I rebuild, then it will be a turbo, then an injection pump, ect. ect. Whats it worth as a running core?

still has to be cheaper then droping 20k on a reman, at least with the reman there is somewhat of a warranty. Whats the HP rating

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Rebuild kit pricing

Rebuild pricing.

Figure $725 per hole—Full Cylinder kits, rod bearings, seals & gaskets for all including S&H—Genuine Cummins only

tashmoo2

Commander
6CTA rebuild

If you like boat, plan to keep and do any trips out of SEA Tow range go with a remanufactured Cummins which is a new engine.

A rebuild, what I think is commonly done today, is parts replacement and will cost you $10k because there will be more to replace then you realize. A true rebuild should be taken apart, cleaned, and inspected to check head flatness, cracks, and other critical dimensions.

You can replace liners, injectors, and pistons but the pumps, Turbo, starter, fuel pump, injector pump, etc are still old.

Top Bottom