Recaulk window frames

jsakovits

Captain
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
If one was going to remove and recaulk window frames would you use 3M 3000UV or 4000UV. It seems like the 3000 is a lower strength version of the 4000 in case you needed to remove a window.

I have used butyl tape in the past and regardless of running a bead of caulk the tape ran.

Thanks

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
"the tape ran"? what's that mean. What color tape did you use?

jsakovits

Captain
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
The tape was gray. After the butyl tape we ran a bead of caulk and on a hot day the butyl tape would push out from under the caulk.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I have never heard of doing both caulk and butyl tape. The benefits of using tape are lost once you combine it with caulk. I guess I don't understand why.

Sounds like you don't want to use butyl tape again from the experience. I liked it because install was easier. It does need some time and hot weather to fully bed and tighten the frames. White or grey should help with any bleeding that does happen if not fully tightened.

jsakovits

Captain
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
Was following Diamond Seaglaze directions. I think the caulk was intended to keep the butyl tape from "running" and provide a finer finish.

aegus15

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
35 Duffy / 18 Eastern
Butyl tape is often used with caulking , just added protection to keep water out. Used it like this in commercial construction. Worked great on resealing windows on Pointer . Also ,any uv protected caulking , with white butyl tape .

Top Bottom