Recommendation for Image Stabilized Binoculars

jsakovits

Captain
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
If you were to purchase one pair of binoculars (image stabilized) would you go with 10 x 42 or 14 x 40 ?

My understanding is that higher magnification was a narrower field of view and vice versa. Is there a sweet spot.

Thanks !

hunttr

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Dyer 29
I have Fujinon Techno-Stabl stabilized 14x40 binoculars.They are the only stabilizing binoculars I have used so I can't compare them to others.I would say as far as clarity goes they are somewhere in the middle of the field between basic and high end.They come in a nice waterproof and "SHOCKPROOF" Pelican case.The key word here is "shockproof".You need to be carefull with them and not drop them or bang them to hard or they will stop working and you will have to send them in for repair for around $200.Ask me how I know.I griped and complained and got them down to $100.I told them they should come with a warning about not being shock proof.But they work great and I consider them necessary boating equipment.

Last edited:

hunttr

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Dyer 29
If you were to purchase one pair of binoculars (image stabilized) would you go with 10 x 42 or 14 x 40 ?

My understanding is that higher magnification was a narrower field of view and vice versa. Is there a sweet spot.

Thanks !
Although the 14x40 will have higher magnification the 10x42 should be a little brighter/clearer depending on the quality of the glass.

Tunacious

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Blackman
14-40 Fraser Volpe Gyros are by far the best. Out here if Cali, I spot tailing Marlin and Swordfish in heavy wind and seas. Seeing bird flocks, whales, feeding Tuna out to 3- to 4 miles.

Top Bottom