recoring top deck with Core cell

jojobee

Commander
Hey guys, I am recoring the top deck of my tripp angler from the inside. I have some corecell that is kerfed into blocks with fiberglass attached to one side. What side should face up? It would be easier to put the glass side up so that the coring does not flop down. I do not plan on vacuum bagging it.

thanks

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Scrim side towards you (that's the fiberglass) that way it will go with the contour of your top and bed into the bedding material. Don't forget to hotcoat your core material.

jojobee

Commander
Travis, It contours either way I put it. When I hot coat it, do I need to bend it over a barrel to fill the kerfs? It sure would be great if I could install it the other way without hot coating between the kerfs. My bald spot is going to be rubbing against a lot of resin

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
The resin goes and seals the kerfs, making each little square its own self contained prison if water ever does penetrate the laminate. It can't get out of the square. The kerfs are there to prevent water migration and also so it will lay in the mold. You can put it up either way, but one does a much better job.

You don't have to bend it over a barrel, but the more you get between the squares the better. Let it soak in for a few moments and roll the excess off. Save your noggin

Top Bottom