Remember these ??

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Anybody remember building wooden traps ?? knitting heads, drilling runners. It was kinda fun building traps in the shop all winter, overhauling rope, fixing traps. This was the last bunch i built before switching to wire.
20130805_113653[1].jpg

20130805_113653[1].jpg

Pedlyr

Captain
I made one trip offshore lobstering in my life. Used those big double parlor wooden traps that weighted a ton. I was a lot younger then, and it was winter too. I didn't make much money. Did a lot of free work. Like building traps and hi-flyers. That's how you "got" a job.

Worst part was "soaking" them when you finished.

Overkill

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44 Calvin Beal
Steve, have you talked to the guys in Jersey? How is their season going, anything like last year?

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Steve, have you talked to the guys in Jersey? How is their season going, anything like last year?

If your asking about lobsters, yes they are doing very well, at least my buddy and his sons are doing well don't know about any other guys.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I made one trip offshore lobstering in my life. Used those big double parlor wooden traps that weighted a ton. I was a lot younger then, and it was winter too. I didn't make much money. Did a lot of free work. Like building traps and hi-flyers. That's how you "got" a job.

Worst part was "soaking" them when you finished.

We used to tar our traps, dipped them in gas tar and in later years we used that "baltimore pot dip" that you cut with diesel fuel that shit left purple stains on your skin !!.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Some of the boys thought heating the tar would make it soak into the traps better worked great till the tar barrel blew up !!! It was so hot that what pots didn't burn the heat melted the heads all was left was little balls of melted nylon up against the sticks that held the heads on to the trap frames !!

20130808_090355[1].jpg

20130808_090355[1].jpg

Stinkpot

Commander
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
Not only are wooden ones still all the rage in Newfoundland, but they still seem to prefer the round ones - at least during my trip there last fall. During the off season, stacks like these are all along the side of the roads. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing any wire traps.

My father used to own a truck body business in Worcester and when they used to lay new white oak flooring inside trailers, we'd take the scrap strips to a guy named Manny in Westport who made traps from them. Still use the coffee table he made for my father.

DSCN9705.jpg

DSCN9705.jpg

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom