Remote mounted heat exchanger

flatrock

Ensign
First Name
Peter
Boat Make
Shamrock 20' Openfish
Has anyone remote mounted a heat exchanger? I'm trying to decide what to do with a Crusader 350 5.7 install on my 20' Shamrock Openfish.

The Crusader has a rear mounted HE but that's going to be tough to fit as the battery tray and other stuff is utilizing the space. It would be a tight fit to move it to the front, and the inlet/outlets would be on opposite sides which means creative hose work. So my thought now is mounting the exchanger in the forward compartment and running hose through the bulkhead back to the engine.

As long as I have the remote plastic expansion/filler tank above the "radiator" cap of the exchangers' tank I should be okay, correct? The Crusader heat exchanger is an "all in one" expansion tank/cooler, fully closed system so in effect it is already "remote", would that be true?

Feel free to let the comments and suggestions rip! New guy here, hello and thanks in advance!

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Lol I have this same problem. I have a 350 crusader in my 25GM and the heat exchanger is basically under the steering bulkhead. I honestly don’t know if I could remove it without pulling the engine forward. Wish whoever put this engine in would have considered this. I do have the remote mount oil filter tho which is very nice

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Another thing to consider is spark plug access. As you probably know the spark plugs are below the exhaust manifolds so if your going to be putting it in a small engine box with the bottom half of the engine being below deck level your gonna have a hard time changing them...like I currently am lol

flatrock

Ensign
First Name
Peter
Boat Make
Shamrock 20' Openfish
Yeah, plugs are a concern, the manifolds are not making it easy. I thought about changing to center rise manifolds but stuck with the Crusader logs that were on there. This is a running takeout, after pulling those to inspect they were mint.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I have mounted a heat exchanger remotely on a gas engines a couple of times.
1) I don't think reversing the hoses would be a problem altho it might be best to reverse both the raw waters and coolant hoses so the counterflow relationship will be retained if one were used.
2) An expansion tank can be either above or below the pressure cap slightly below is better so coolant doesn'y run out when the pressure cap is removed. If, however your tank is a "filler" tank it is part of the cooling system and it would have its own pressure cap and be heavy plastic with heavier clamped hoses. I don't think this is what you have.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland
Last edited:

flatrock

Ensign
First Name
Peter
Boat Make
Shamrock 20' Openfish
I remote mounted the heat exchanger on my Volvo, worked out fine. Making the hoses work was interesting, but it was my only option besides cutting up my deck.

Nice! Thanks for the pic, that's pretty much what I was envisioning. I think the longest run will be from the circulating pump to the exchanger.

Top Bottom