Removing old gelcoat

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
So I'm in the process of removing some of or all of the old gelcoat From the hull in the inside of my cabin and under the washrails etc. It's caked on there , cracking etc.. Sorry I forgot to take pics today. I'm using a small 18" belt sander and all though tedious it's moving along. There is cracked gel coat up front in the cabin and when you get through the first layer of it is tacky underneath so the belt clogs right up. Is there any other way of doing this? Sandblast? While I'm at it anyone have a good wholesale sandpaper website?

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Bill,there's no easy way....get your 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with some 24 or 36 grit 5 inch pads and go to town

image.jpg

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Shouldn't be sticky...

Sure you aren't just loading your abrasive by staying in one spot too long?

Get yourself a nice big grinder and just make quick passes, don't stay in one place too long, it will clog you right up.

offshore31

Captain
i stripped a 31 bert (topsides and bottom) with a 6" d/a using 36 grit. like travis said, don't stay in one place too long. and where a good respirator.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
It shouldn't be soft but it is. That's the beauty of making an old boat new again. You make those gruesome discoveries that just boggle the mind. I don't have any advice for you other than what MDI suggested. Not sure what you pay for discs, but the link below might help. I just googled Auto Body supplies, and found this for you. I have not made any purchaces there but it sounds like a big outfit.

Item Detail

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
I use the 4 1/2 also , it's lighter, this is especially helpful in hard to reach areas and over head. on a large flat area, yes a bigger machine. I also do my other work all day the before going home, i'll grind a section a day, breaks up the monotony

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I struggled with my bilge like crazy and tried a number of discs before settling on this. I think you could grind through a 2x4 in about a minute with this thing- VERY aggressive so might be too much for what you are doing? I had a thread about this earlier and there were all kinds of suggestions. Concrete grinding wheels, metal discs, sanding discs and this one proved to be the best.

My problem was that everything was getting gummed up and I think it was the crap on the hull but also the heat so keep it moving (pretty sure you know this...).

Best thing about this is that you can just touch it to a piece of steel and it is almost clean as new since the flaps wear away. I used it to grind all kinds of old putty and caulk and it gums up but doesnt stop grinding. Full face mask and tyvek suit/fan/vacuum.

image.jpg

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Ya its def not the way it is supposed to be, I mean fully kicked,, you sand and then once you break through the crack in the gel coat it gets all gummy I think those sanding discs will work great to rip this shit off.. I would just regelcoat it if it wasnt cracked but it is and will drive me nuts..

MDI what are you doing next in terms of finishing that ? sanding and gelcoating or fairing compund or?

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Mdi, whatcha building?
Tuna,Just re doing the head and adding some storage. Bill, just going to sand it lightly and re gelcoat.I had carpet on the walls and had to grind off the glue. Josh,I buy those panels already made at reinforced plastics in farmingdale n.y....they cost 250 each for 4x8 ....the piece on the top I made just from scraps....not to waste anything

Last edited:
Top Bottom