Repair ZF Control Head? (MC2000-2)

RyanA

Lieutenant
I have a pair of ZF MC2000-2 Control Heads on my boat (2005), one at the lower helm (still working fine) and one upstairs in the tower.
Here's a stock picture of them.
mmcmc20002.jpg

They are for sale on a few sites...all $1,200 and up.

At the start of last season, the upstairs control started "sticking" pretty bad...still 100% working...you just really have to push hard to get them to respond. With the controls off, I would work them back and forth, and it continued to free them up, but they are definately not silky smooth like the downstairs control head. At launch, this season they are even worse! Again, 100% functional, but you need to apply 5-10#'s of pressure to move them, not convenient.

Anyone know of anyone who could service this unit? Or maybe I can and I just need some reassurances that it can be done. I'd hate to spend $1200 replacing it, when I'm sure its either some rusty gear inside, or some corrosion built up on the moving parts. The tower doesn't offer the control a lot of protection from the elements, and the cover I'm sure traps moisture in just as much as it keeps it out. The electronic portion of the controls still working and performing perfectly.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
It's been a while, but can't you pop off the ZF sticker and access the retaining nut on the shaft to take it apart and free it all up?

Can't seem to find an exploded view diagram to confirm this. Pretty sure that's how it all goes together.

RyanA

Lieutenant
Thank you so much for your help!
Sadly, that drawing is close, but I don't think that's the same unit. I could be what it looks like with the cover off it though. Mine is 100% confirmed a MC2000-2. I'm not in front of it, nor crazy mechanically inclined, but the guts can't be that far off. I wonder if its Nylon, what the heck is causing it to be so hard to move? It's what I expected thou; nylon gears and washers.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
Boat Make
The internals are the same. That particular sending head is the basic training model (entry level control) but it's basically all the same mumbo jumbo. I think on the MC2000 there are some screws down in the base that hold the silver cover onto the control head, again I might be wrong, it's been a hot minute since I fiddled around with a Mathers control.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
Boat Make
If one of they nylon washers, or both, have split for whatever reason, they could in theory possibly bind against each other on the split surfaces. Although you'd think they would slide back easier than pushing ahead. It's a mystery, that's for sure.

RyanA

Lieutenant
Alright, this should give me enough to go on and try it anyway. Worse that happens is a break it and have to buy a new one anyway.

Top Bottom