Repairing/Cleaning up Fiberglass Mat

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Hello ALL,

Some of you know I'm in the process of rehabbing/repowering a 25 T Jason.

When the time comes I'd like to "cleanup" the hauling side of the boat.

The original owner had the side painted blue.

When I had the bottom glass bead blasted I had the blue blasted off the side.

What do you guys suggest I do to "cleanup" the side a bit. At the least I'd like it "all gel coat white" and a little smoother. After the bead blasting there is quite a bit of fiberglass hairs sticking through.

I don't expect to get it "out-of-the-mold" smooth..just "clean looking".

Any suggestions on the process ????

On the right side of the pic you'll see some pink poly/fair.

I had 3-4 oz in a can and as a quick "experiment" I mixed it up and troweled some on the mat. Tomorrow 'll sand it down and "see what happens" .

Appreciated, Bill D

IMG_1883.jpg

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
I would lay a few layers of mat up on the hauling side so it could serve as future chaffe gear and then just gelcoat it white or paint it a different color all together.

pyrofan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
wilcox and midland
In the past I have always just brushed or rolled on a thin coat of laminating resin to harden up and seal the rough exposed fibers.

Then use some of your pink poly/fair or what ever fairing compound you want. Use a long sanding block to fair in.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
I would lay a few layers of mat up on the hauling side so it could serve as future chaffe gear and then just gelcoat it white or paint it a different color all together.

Mike,
You can't really see in the picture but the chafed hull is 1/2-5/8 inch thick over the original gel coat already. The hull side will not get beat up @ all with me hauling 10 traps with no trawls.

In the past I have always just brushed or rolled on a thin coat of laminating resin to harden up and seal the rough exposed fibers.

Then use some of your pink poly/fair or what ever fairing compound you want. Use a long sanding block to fair in.

I hadn't thought of that....good idea.

I was thinking of maybe grinding it ALL off down to almost the original gel coat, fairing re-gel coating the area and try to get it back to "almost new".

A project like that would be "next winter". I have my hands full getting the boat ready for June 1st

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I was thinking of maybe grinding it ALL off down to almost the original gel coat, fairing re-gel coating the area and try to get it back to "almost new".

A project like that would be "next winter". I have my hands full getting the boat ready for June 1st

The hard part there is the gelcoat work, no? Grinding and sanding might just be a couple hours. No plans to paint the topsides all around I guess? Just figured you would be painting that thing all over.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
The hard part there is the gelcoat work, no? Grinding and sanding might just be a couple hours. No plans to paint the topsides all around I guess? Just figured you would be painting that thing all over.

I orbital sanded a few areas around the hull with 220 and then wet sanded with 800-1000.

It is remarkable how the gel coat has come back to life. She'll come back all nice and shiny without paint.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Go after that area then! I am sure you have a long list....

GLA

Commander
it may be hard to color match the side to do the repair, you may have to do the entire side of the boat to make it look new.

how about adding a stainless plate to that area. or a different color , it would look normal then as a chafe spot for pots.

Top Bottom