Replacing boat windows

msp1140

Deckhand
I have a 35 ft Duffy with windows that where put in with some type of black rubber gasket.I would like to replace one but not sure how to get a accurate measurement or make a template with the window in place.I'm not sure how to take the window out and not sure if I could put it back in.Any ideas how I can measure or allow for the gasket to get a measurement to a window company.Any ideas please

harpoon83

Commodore
First Name
Colin
For lack of knowing the actual name, there should be a "rope-like" rubber insert on one side of the window gasket. Gently remove that, and you will be able to remove the window panel with a little force.
Then you can just bring the old piece to the glass company.
Easy to put back in as well.

Seaweags

Deckhand
lowes or home depot sell a handicap grap rail with two suction cups for about $10.00 (in the shower dept) i placed it in corner of window flip the lever to attach an was able to pull window out of gasket without dropping. very easy

traditions

Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I would recommend that you find a glass company that will come out and make their own pattern.If the glass isn't cut to the exact right size the window will leak.The glass has to be 1/8 th of inch smaller than the hole.The glass guys around here wont guarantee no leaks unless they cut the glass and install.Was this boat finished down east?I see a lot of boats that come from down east that have the rubber in backwards,with the lockin strip on the inside.If the house is cored the rubber most likely doesn't have the separate strip,but has a flap that tucks into itself.Look for a groove in the rubber and pry it open with a plastic putty knife.

tomy

1st Mate
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
hi msp...can you remove whole window first. I have windows that have outer shell and inner, which came apart easily. Maybe take whole thin out and rebed...

Top Bottom