Replacing fixed glass seals

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I have some minor leaks in the fixed glass seals.
My plan is to replace the center front window with a Wynn window that opens.

How do I re-seal the fixed glass pieces.

My plan is to remove the panes, check the coring, fix if needed and then replace the panes.

Can I re-seal myself of call my local glass shop.

Is this a do-it-yourself project.

Bill D

IMG_1839.jpg

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Bill, before you remove any windows make sure you can get new rubber gasketing material that will match what you have. Once removed the old stuff is done. It is a little tricky so find a glass shop that will do it.
Wynn makes a great unit, but why get one that opens. On a 25' with the amount of spray they will be taking it will leak for sure. Fixed for the front & sliders for the sides is the best combo for comfort & dryness.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Bill,
Rubber set are pretty easy to work on.
Years ago most every truck on the road was rubber set & I removed & reinstalled all the time, cars built pre 1980s also.
I'm sure there has to be a supplier around to get exact replacement rubber as there are still lots of boats on the water that are rubber set..
It's been a long time but last time I restored an antique car I got new rubber from a supplier in South Boston.
You existing rubber use a separate rubber bead on the outside to spread and lock it all together ?
Some we use a tool that spread while installing that bead, some you install rubber on glass 1st and use a rope on rubber for install.

I'll cal around to some glass companies located in coastal boating towns.
Larry, I will have a center split opening window. When conditions permit in the dead of summer it's nice to have some wind in your face . :D

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Flex Seal is now available in clear and operators are standing by!
Sorry Bill, I just couldn't resist. ;)

Fishinengineer

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Duffy

pyrofan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
wilcox and midland
Bill here's a link for a source that was posted a while back. Need to measure glass thickness and house thickness. From what I've heard it is a fairly easy project, one that I need to do as well.

CRL-Automotive CRL Two-Piece Self-Sealing Universal Weatherstrip 15/32" to 17/32" Panel - 3/16" to 1/4" Glass | AS1707
http://http://www.technologylk.com/...p-15-32-to-17-32-Panel-3-16-to-1-4-Glass.html

Bill, this link is a good start, but most company's that cut glass will be able to order what you want if they don't have what you need in stock. Just bring them a sample of what you have now to make sure to make sure the thickness of rubber between where the glass sits and where the rubber sits in the opening is the same.

If it's thicker you take a chance of cracking your glass when installing. I have installed by myself, but I would not recommend. Really a two man job, one inside and one outside Use spray silicone...best... or any dish detergent and water when installing the locking bead.

The glass company should have the tool used for installing the locking bead, not that hard to fabricate yourself once you see one.

I've used the two-piece and also one-piece rubber over a hundred times, only one cracked window. Myself I've found it better to install the rubber with the seam on the top, just make sure to cut the rubber a little long.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
I thought someone posted these cut to size seals on here somewhere ?cant find them now of course. They seemed spot on

Top Bottom