Repower Cost - 210hp Diesel to 300hp? Gas

BDG

Lieutenant
Looking at a few boats, one of which has undesirable power plant. 26 ft LOA. Guessing 7k lbs wet.

If that craps out or gets too difficult to maintain, curious around cost for a repower in the next year or two.
My understanding is a new ~210-250hp diesel would be about $50k all in.

What about a gasser? 300hp gas would probably turn a big enough prop to make this boat move well...
Any guesses on a full diesel to gas repower cost?

Thanks

Benny

Lieutenant
You doing the work yourself? I paid 17,500 for a rebuilt 370 Cummins with a new ZF 220A trans.

After that I spent approximately the following outside of whatever random items I needed to get it turn key.

guage panel @ $850
Seawater pump, strainer, hoses, seacock etc $2000
Exhaust hose, muffler, tip, etc $2000
Trans legs, isolators, shaft coupler, hardware $1500

I also had to beef up my stringers and built my own engine mounts but certainly got out of it for far less than 50k in the end. If you’re buying a new engine and writing checks for the install you could easily spend 75k and skies the limit.

I reached out to Seaboard Marine when I first got my boat and it had a clapped out Perkins in it. They gave me a verbal quote of 75-100k to install a reman. After doing the repower myself I felt their quote was low haha.

NC_Colfax

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User

Benny

Lieutenant
The nickel and diming really adds up. You’ll certainly spend a good deal on excess and unused inventory too. You’ll be ordering clamps, hardware, hoses and all sort of stuff that fills the garage. It will all end up coming in handy but the upfront cost of all that inventory is steep. But you end up with extra essentials and save a ton of cash.

Anything you do yourself is easily 80-125 bucks an hour savings alone and that’s for work actually accomplished. Make no mistake about yards, there’s plenty of smoke breaks and jawing going on the boat owners ticket out there.

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
Complete new gas marine engine $12-14k
New trans $3k
Accessories $1500
While you are in theres... $?

I am planning on doing a budget repower in the next couple of years. I have dry stack and keel cooler already, I don't need a marine engine, any rebuilt truck engine will do. Still budgeting 10k for the project.

Top Bottom