Repowering a 1995 22' Eastern

jmjones

Ensign
Boat Make
Eastern
I am looking to repower my 1995 22' Eastern. It is currently powered with a 1995 Evinrude OceanPro 150HP, which seems to be a little on the heavy side and way overpowering. Right now I am leaning towards an Evinrude Etec 115HP. I think the only question is HP, since all the 4-strokes would add weight to what I already have (375lbs), unless I went down to 90HP.

Is the 115HP the way to go?

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
I am looking to repower my 1995 22' Eastern. It is currently powered with a 1995 Evinrude OceanPro 150HP, which seems to be a little on the heavy side and way overpowering. Right now I am leaning towards an Evinrude Etec 115HP. I think the only question is HP, since all the 4-strokes would add weight to what I already have (375lbs), unless I went down to 90HP.

Is the 115HP the way to go?

I would say that is plenty of HP since Eastern is putting 115 HP outboards on the new 24' Seaways. You can always call or send an email to Eastern Boats and ask for their input.

jmjones

Ensign
Boat Make
Eastern
Sent an email and checked there website, they are recommending 115HP for the 22's they sell now (center console). My '95 is not the same hull, it has a wider beam and a pilot house. I agree, the 115HP should provide enough power though. Would a 90HP be a stupid idea?

With the engine I have now I take water in through the scuppers when I stand near the stern (they go under the water), it drains well while it sits on the mooring. I solve the problem with plugs and it works very well, but there is nothing like rowing out to the mooring in a tropical storm because you thought you forgot to remove the plugs. I would really like to lighten up the back end. It appears the OceanPro 150 is approximately the same weight as the etec 115.

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
I guess it depends on what you want for performance. Just for comparison, my 21 x 8.5 pilot house with a 2002 Suzuki DF70 does 19kts at WOT, and cruises at 15.

Today's Suzuki DF90 is the same block and weight as my older DF70. I believe Eastporter has a Suzuki 80, which is the same weight again. I don't know about different manufacturers, but I would think that the lightest 90HP you could find would be the way to go.

Whoever put that 150 on there years ago thought they had a deep V.

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
I would rather slow it down then stand in water while I fish all day. But how much of a difference are you really looking at between all your options. I only bring it up from this perspective because even if you save a good hundred pounds once you have a second body on board are you right back to standing in water?

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
I agree that the weight difference isn't going to be a huge factor- especially if you go with a 4 stroke. Some options I can think of- install an on-deck bilge pump with automatic turn on ( I have one in my bilge, Rule 1200 auto and love it), or raise your sole (floor) up a few inches (I did this to my boat). A third option to create a "splash well" that houses the on-deck bilge pump similar to what F/V First Team shared on another thread. Or... stick with the plugs and make sure you remove them every time. You can always put an extra plug on your key chain, and this will remind you to remove them when you pull the key from the ignition.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
80 Suzuki 4 Stroke

My outboard weighs 341 lbs. and is the same weight as the 70 and 90 HP as Mouse Trap stated. This is one of the lighter 4-strokes on the market. The lightest 90 HP is a Yamaha two-stroke if you can find a new old stock, or low hour used one.

FirstLightNat

Ensign
My father has the same hull, and same water issue as you. we have two forty gallon fuel tanks in the thing which is way overkill for his bass fishing, and opted last season to repower with a 140 suzuki and run off a full forward tank and a third in the rear as a reserve. boat is way drier now and still cruises at 30 kts when you want it. I would think the 90 would push yours plenty, ours is open center console.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
I was going to say 115 would be about right.

I have a 17x8 Leblanc and I just purchased a 90 ETEC for her. It's just too much money to say "God I wish I had a few more ponies" when the mother in law goes for a ride.

Top Bottom