Repowering Question, Holland 32

DM_PNW

Lieutenant
Turns out that my boat is a Holland 32 that was built out here on the west coast by a licenced builder in the 80's. Currently has a PCM 351W (240hp), BW 72 Series 1:1 trans and a Walter RV-26 v-drive. Very happy with the performance, not so much with the fuel consumption or sleeping around 100+ gallons of gas with the family.

Thinking about repowering to a diesel, would like a cruise of about 12-14 kts, which is an apparent sweet spot for the 32, and a WOT of 16-18. One online prop calc I found suggests ~120hp for cruise and ~200hp a WOT of 16 knots. Need to spend the $50 to confirm all this @ boatdiesel.com

I understand that the easy answer is likely to be a 6BT, but I am not keen on loosing the deck space and having to rebuild the deck/engine box, etc.

The next answer could be a Yanmar 4LHA-STP, but at $25k it's a challenge to my Scottish heritage. One local dealer suggested a Hyundai Seasall V-6 ($17k). It is marketed as a direct replacement for a V8 gasser. I like the concept, but at this point I think it would put me too far out on the Bleeding Edge. Plus I have too many memories of seeing Hyundai Pony's dead on the roadside.

Another option I thought of would a 4BT, I am aware of the inherent issues with them but was thinking that @ 200hp, could be a reasonable fit. Looking at what the swap guys are doing with these motors in on-road applications it seems as though it is possible to get a reliable 200hp out of them in the long term (only 50hp/hole).

Some of the sister ships apparently had a TAMD40 (165hp) and cruised at 12-13 knots, but that's an old motor that I just want to avoid, plus I doubt it would fit.

I had a chance to get a 4BY2-180 for $5k but decided to not pull the trigger because I thought the application would be too abusive for that engine.

What other options are out there that I am missing? 200hp, same or smaller footprint as a small block V8. What is the common answer for y'all out east?

Cheers
Dave

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Suck it up and get a Re Con 6BT and do what you need to do to make it fit. No better value for the buck, will last forever, and you can get most of the power out of it economically when you want to go along at a fast clip. 12 knots in a 32 Holland seems painfully slow, but I'm sure it's just sipping fuel there.

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
I agree that the 6BT(A) would be the best bang for the buck. Consider the jacket water aftercooled 250 hp model. It is the same price or maybe less than the 210 hp version and the aftercooler improves efficiency and maybe exhaust gas temperatures. Given that it is jacket water cooled it shouldn't be much of a maintenance chore.

The Yanmar 4LH 240 hp engines are almost unobtainable and $25K although a big number is actually a competitive one for that engine. You won't find a better engine than that one to fit your boat.

Another Yanmar that is on its way to being unobtainable is the 6LP. Probably too much hp for you at 315, but it is a bit lighter and lower than the Cummins.

An in between engine might be the Volvo D4. Probably a bit taller than the Yanmar 4LH but at least 3" shorter than the Cummins.

David

Last edited:

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I agree that the 6BT(A) would be the best bang for the buck. Consider the jacket water aftercooled 250 hp model. It is the same price or maybe less than the 210 hp version and the aftercooler improves efficiency and maybe exhaust gas temperatures. Given that it is jacket water cooled it shouldn't be much of a maintenance chore.

The Yanmar 4LH 240 hp engines are almost unobtainable and $25K although a big number is actually a competitive one for that engine. You won't find a better engine than that one to fit your boat.

An in between engine might be the Volvo D4. Probably a bit taller than the Yanmar but at least 3" shorter than the Cummins.

David

You can probably buy a 6BTA 370 for close to the price of the 4LH ($25K)

Toro

Commander
Boat Make
19 Pointer
The32 was designed for a gasser, he didn't say he needs more power or range, and he clearly don't have the jingle for a repower to diesel. We all know how much has to be upgraded going from gas to diesel, theres a lot.. Suggestion: Vanness engineering out of NJ can build a new complete 330HP off a new long small block, based on the chris craft Q configuration to keep the profile low. will run $8000 with exhaust and mounts...

Toro

Commander
Boat Make
19 Pointer
Yankee, did the big Deere rattle that little 32 apart? Can you share sea trial specs on that one?

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
The deeres are smooth.The 4 cyl has a counter balance shaft.There are a couple 32 's here that have 145 hp deeres,and I think they cruise about 12 with a cage.They are a high hour engine,probably out last most pleasure boaters.The 4 cyl now is higher HP than 145.

Captain
I would get the volvo D4 or the John Deere, for that boat. The D4 will sit just a little higher then the yanmar, but it's a very good engine.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I would get the volvo D4 or the John Deere, for that boat. The D4 will sit just a little higher then the yanmar, but it's a very good engine.

How much do those engines sell for?

YankeeFPT

Commander
Website
www.yankeemarina.com
Boat Make
If it floats we will be glad to work on it.
Yankee, did the big Deere rattle that little 32 apart? Can you share sea trial specs on that one?

I don't have any of the seatrail data. I do know the hull was cored, and the boat did 30mph @ WOT. Vibration wasn't bad for a working lobsterboat. The floor was aluminum framed.

Toro

Commander
Boat Make
19 Pointer
Thanks Yankee so if that 6cyl makes 25 Kts in that boat with a cage , maybe that little M5 rated 4045AFM at 225HP could run 20kts full throttle in a 32 Holland with no cage and maybe a tower, fuel and ice and no need for a V drive.

Top Bottom