Retro Marine 21` trawler semi- displacement ????

hori

Lieutenant
Retro Marine 21` trawler

I have been looking at the retro marine 21` pilot/ trawler models and was if anyone owns one of these? wonder how they compare to Eastern ?

If 50 hp can make these boats go over 20 mph what would 90hp do maybe low 30`s ?

Last edited:

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
hori - you'd want to keep that hull in the water. When it comes up and there's even a slight kickup in the wave action she'll pound. Are trim tabs standard equipment on it?

They'll track nice 'cause of the slight keel that runs fore and aft. I believe it tapers off about six feet from the transom. But once that hull comes up I am willing to bet good money that boat'll pound. Would recommend a sea trial.

hori

Lieutenant
I was under the impression that the hull is same as used by fisherman in Nova Scotia who are generally in chop , bad weather most of the time during the fall and winter off the Atlantic coast during lobster season.

If these down east cape style boats pound in any kind of slight chop then I guess I will look at whaler type then.

hori

Lieutenant
hori - you'd want to keep that hull in the water. When it comes up and there's even a slight kickup in the wave action she'll pound. Are trim tabs standard equipment on it?

They'll track nice 'cause of the slight keel that runs fore and aft. I believe it tapers off about six feet from the transom. But once that hull comes up I am willing to bet good money that boat'll pound. Would recommend a sea trial.

Bossman
does your boat pound in chop? it`s a Novi built cape style boat and was wondering if it is same for all.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Like a bastard.

These novi's have an reversed angled transom, same with the retro marine.
But I also put a 90 on a 17 novi (so I may have overshot it a good bit). I am just saying that if the builder's recommending a 50 for her its for good reason. What are they saying you'll get for a cruise? if you can get that bow down then yeah put as much horsepower as you want to buy on it.

Also I seem to recall that Retro builds and even more significant keel for your model. Saw a guy in Weymouth putting it on for an owner I seem to remember in Salem that had a bastard of a time docking her with the windage.

hori

Lieutenant
that sucks about the pounding,
will trim tab fix it?

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
It's a flat bottom boat. It'll pound, and there's nothing you can do about it except slow down

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
True

hori what's the builder saying about recommended power? If you juice it up to a 90 like you want do they recommend tabs or additional weight forward?

hori

Lieutenant
BOS
I`m looking at few that are used and already have 90 outboards on them. I may go and see one next week. From what I learned that you can`t go fast like a deep vee but if you slow it down you can cut through some nasty waves, swells in these cape style boats, after all lobster fisherman been using them forever off the coast of north atlantic.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
The bigger cape islander hulls are super seaworthy offshore big slow monsters. They will, and have been getting fishermen backmsafelybfor decades and decades.
The retro 21 is a cape style skiff. The fishermen have been using this style outboard for inshore lobstering for some time. Many of these are used for collecting seaweed, as they are wide and stable, with shallow draft and mega carrying capacity.
Don't fool yourself into thinking these flat bottomed outboard versions are the same seaworthy craft as the inboard full keel cape boats.
Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of the "baby capes" but you must realize that they are INSHORE boats

hori

Lieutenant
and my travels would be max 10 miles out which is inshore,

If I was venturing 20 miles or more offshore than 21 foot boat regardless of make or hull design wouldn`t be wise choice, unless you were in a zodiac hurricane rib with two 50 gal fuel tanks, twin outboards and one of the deepest vee hulls going :D they are truely amazing offshore rigs :D

Top Bottom