RF-18 Project Boat

Chappy Daze

Lieutenant
Introducing myself as the new owner of a very used Rosborough RF-18 which I took a gamble on buying in late August and, after extensive cleaning and numerous repairs, replacements and upgrades was finally able to launch and motor from Cotuit on Cape Cod to my Martha's Vineyard home waters this past Sunday. The ancient 90HP Mercury "Tower of Power" did the job but is definitely more power and weight than this hull needs (IMO ;-) I've read the forum threads extensively, and look forward to corresponding with other RF-18 owners as I address multiple improvements ahead of the 2020 season!

Bow Up.png Moored, Katama.jpg

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Chappy Daze

Lieutenant
Congrat's on the new to you boat! Glad you made it home, I had one of those "tower of power" engines, and I still have nightmares about the damned thing. Looking forward to watching you make the boat yours.
You should've seen the initial struggle trying to figure out how to get the three pieces of the Mercury cover back on! Took two of us 10 minutes on dry land-- one from inside the boat and one out-- to get it right; hope I never have to do that out on the water! (also hoping to replace with a Yamaha 70 or equivalent ;-)

ekim

Lieutenant
My 1999 RF18 runs great with a yamaha 80HP 4 stroke. Never win a race but 6 gals all day long.

Chappy Daze

Lieutenant
My 1999 RF18 runs great with a yamaha 80HP 4 stroke. Never win a race but 6 gals all day long.
Thanks, now THAT sounds more like it! I'm HOPING to lighten the weight on the transom enough so she'll self bail when on the mooring-- but that may be unrealistic. Do you have to keep your scupper plugged when the boat's at rest?

ekim

Lieutenant
Ping pong ball scuppers keep out water at rest,

Chappy Daze

Lieutenant
Howdy-- I drove up to look at it thinking that if the engine started and went into gear, and the trailer was road-worthy I'd buy it.... had severe second thoughts afterwards as it needs a LOT, but of course has "good bones". The Mercury 90 is too much power, and too much weight on the transom; I just picked up a Yamaha 85 that's 10 years newer and 60 lbs lighter-- hoping that, plus Bennett trim tabs will keep the bow don and minimize "porpoising" (she bounced all the way across from Cotuit on Cape Cod to Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard Looking forward to a winter's worth of work, and mid-spring launch

Bow Up.png

ekim

Lieutenant
The prior owner of my RF-18 did some weight shifting also. The dual batteries are now forward just outside the seats BUT the biggest improvement was the trim tabs.

ekim

Lieutenant
So has goes the project during pandemic times? Anything new to post about your vessel?

Chappy Daze

Lieutenant
Hi, haven't gotten a whole lot done; most so far pertains to installing and rigging the used Yamaha 85 I picked up from a friend (new side-mount controls and cables; will be replacing the trim/tilt motor when the weather gets a little nicer). I did remove the flotation foam from the forward cabin; other RF-18 owners say their boats don't have similar foam blocks-- I'm guessing that my boat was used for inshore lobstering and the owner had the foam installed as an extra safety measure; my use will be more recreational so I won't be putting myself at similar risk on a routing basis (such is my justification at least ;-)

Chappy Daze

Lieutenant
Just posted a query about how to remove an aluminum saddle tank; it appears to be permanently 'glassed in place, but I'm hoping there's a way to get it out without having to sawzall one of the end mounting brackets.....

Latest Posts

Top Bottom