riding sail

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
so these old babys were meant to keep your nose into the wind when hauling i understand.
..and to help dampen the roll of the early narrow hulls?
so how well do they work in dampening the roll?
just thinking (hypothetically) that if you picked up an old cheap repco or something, you could put one of these on, and it would look the part and help with the roll.
also saw a past thread with a 30 repco with bilge strakes on that are to dampen the roll. how well do these work? any side effects?
i know a long skinny is gonna roll because its a long skinny, but just interested in hearing about these various anti roll steps taken.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
The olny time a riding sail will help with that is hauling gear and drifting. And it just keep the bow in the wind so the boat is still active if you want to stop that go with parivains to stop the role they work great

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I had a riding sail on my old wooden boat,and on my 35 RP.I had it to keep the bow into the wind when hauling lobster gear,as I went alone.I don't think the Marconi type sail did much to dampen the roll because most of the sail was down low.I know of some that have a gaff or a sprit sail that puts a lot more canvas up in the air.This may have some affect.I fished on a old eastern rig that had a sail between the masts and it helped maybe a little,but it was a lot of canvas high up, and they all rolled no matter if they were beside the dock or at sea.when moving thru the water I think they help more than they do when just laying there.I know my boats turned well when hauling when there was a good breeze.If the wind direction was wrong they are a pain ,and I would take it down.The only way to stop the roll is outriggers.I had them on my old wooden boat in the winter for dragging,and it was just like adding 20 feet to the boat..Not very practical for anything but draggers and offshore boats that are not in a hurry to get any where.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
gotcha. so riding sails don't dampen the role like i thought they did. i'm glad to dispell these things that get into my head.
what are parivains?

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Out riggers with a birdie in the water.You need a mast and two booms,like you see a lot on southern shrimpers.Up in Canada they use what they call a beaver tail.It is on a small mast on the back side of the house and lowers a type of bird down into the water in close to the side of the boat that is on a solid pipe.Once again this is not common on small vessels.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
Out riggers with a birdie in the water.You need a mast and two booms,like you see a lot on southern shrimpers.Up in Canada they use what they call a beaver tail.It is on a small mast on the back side of the house and lowers a type of bird down into the water in close to the side of the boat that is on a solid pipe.Once again this is not common on small vessels.
gotcha thanks

Pedlyr

Captain
The Curlew II out of New Bedford was a 80 ft dragger with a riding sail for years. It was set up in the rigging between the mast and the boom. I guess it helped but not as well as outriggers.

Normally paravaines hang off of the outrigger and want to dive thus holding down the outrigger against the roll.

A lot of old timers in New Bedford and Boston where against outriggers because they said they would "ice up". Once everyone figured out they actually work, things changed. Especially Scallopers dependent on ring size. They lost less Scallops out of the dredge on haul back because of the motion. Even though the "birds" or paravaines work pretty much only underway.

Pretty hard now to find a boat without them over 50 ft.

Tombo

Lieutenant
Boat Make
POGO/Seaway hull 1977 and Tartan 27 1967
trying again to post...Had the same interest, but based on other experience with riding/steadying sails.Anyone know of a reference/"sailplan" or rule of thumb for sizing the sail to a "narrow/slower"E? I am considering adding the sail to my small DE and have studied some pictures, but would like more detail to consider besides mizzen sails on similar size yawl rigged boats. Thanks

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Sails off from a sailboat have a ''bag'' sewn into them so the look like a airplane wing when they fill with air to create a low pressure behind the sail.You want a flat sail for a rider,and mounted as far aft as possible.The sprit sail rig is the best way to get more canvas higher up into the wind.The sail I had would only keep the bow into the wind long enough to tend a pair of pots,then she would blow off.A bigger sail would have held better,but that was what I had.

Tombo

Lieutenant
Boat Make
POGO/Seaway hull 1977 and Tartan 27 1967
Thank you for the "sanity check" and the suggestion---my intention is for a little "push" underway, more the riding sail function. Will get out my ref books.

Top Bottom