Roof hatch?

madangler

Lieutenant
Curious if anyone has done one and/or has some thoughts. It's going to be getting pretty hot down here in south florida next couple months, and I need to get some kind of ventilation in the pilothouse. I know of another commercial boat down here that uses the roof hatch and that's what gave me the idea. It seems like a good idea: minimal spray in house and no weeping windows. I don't have much experience with opening windows, but I have herd that they weep a bit. Often times we are taking solid spray all night. It would be nice not to have that water getting in the house. I am either going to put in opening windows on the side (just the triangular ones), or I am going to do the roof. Any thoughts?

Put in this pic so you can see the pilothouse.

image.jpg

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I made a vent that went on the outside of my sliding window. Took a piece of clear plexi and cut it same size as the frame of the window then used some hard foam to make a spacer to keep the plexi off of the sliding window. It could be blowing 50 taking solid spray over the house and nothing came in.

the plexi is kinda cloudy but you can see where it was. the red was velcro that a bug screen stuck to and i also had a plexi gutter in case it was really blowing hard from the side and water came in.
window vent.jpg

window vent.jpg

Last edited:

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Post up some fish pics sometime. Deck load of swords would look good on here. Much better than cinder blocks. Read the wicked tuna thread if you don't get that one.

madangler

Lieutenant
Post up some fish pics sometime. Deck load of swords would look good on here. Much better than cinder blocks. Read the wicked tuna thread if you don't get that one.

I'll put up a post in one of the fishing forums

Capt. Rick

Commander
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
I have 2 forward facing hatches on my wheel house roof - they are the small ones, they are a lifesaver in the summer. They do not leak at all.
Will get some spray coming in sometimes, so with that we shut them.
Installed right above the seats.

Capt. Rick

Commander
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
Madangler, Here are pics of what they look like - I purchased them from Hamilton Marine, they are Bomar Low Profile Molded Hatches
# 104653 sized 9 3/16" square with the hole size at 9 1/2" square. They come either white or black. Mine are white. Good Luck.

May 14th 2010 trip 064.jpg

Miss Beryl running.jpg

DBM

Commander
Lite User

duxbait

Captain
I have also seen people put Vents on the sides of the house a little below the windows. They mount an air scoop on the outside of the house. There is then a little slider inside the pilothouse where you can control air flow from nothing to a pretty good fan.

Use a vent like this:
VENTILATOR AIR SCOOP 102962

Top Bottom