Ropeless Traps

Wiretime

Lieutenant
'Ropeless' Lobster Fishing Could Save The Whales. Could It Kill The Industry?

Looks like they are testing in MA - anyone have experience with similar tech? Looks like the boat sends an acoustic ping to the trap, which inflates a balloon to raise the traps. Does not sound cheap now, but it is appealing for me for shrimping/crabbing.

Many inlets, channels, marina approaches etc... are practically mined with traps during the season - mostly recreational.

For my own traps ideally it'd mean less people snatching them - assuming I have a unique ping code that raises my traps or the current dragging them too deep for the buoy.

Now we just need to figure out how to keep trees out of the water and containers on ships...

Wiretime

Lieutenant
How do you stop people from setting over each other?
That's the sticky part - there is also the concern over drag nets - though I doubt many people are running drag nets in the rocky areas I drop most of my traps. Also what happens when my trap catches on something? They could take the tech further and do something like AIS that marks where traps are already set, but I think that would make it worse as most folks would just go set their traps where the most traps are on their map.

Even with ropes people have set on my traps or fouled the lines, with our currents the buoys tend to be a ways away from the trap, and of course everyone wants to set their traps "near" my buoys because obviously I know what I am doing.. :)

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Jerry brings up a good point. In the rivers up here/ Casco bay there are wall to wall traps in some area's. (Summers). Some with 6 trap or so trawls. I wish someone would find the stats. about how many Right Whales were killed or entangled in the last few years. And how may died from ship strikes. I had a copy of that study but as usual i can't find it.

Oh yeah, I see what happens when you haul back and someone is over you. :oops:
There have been no fatalities attributed to Maine gear. Zero. Plenty of ship strike deaths. Just last week a juvenile right whale was struck and killed by a sportfish off of Georgia . I believe it actually sank the boat or they had to ground it to avoid a sinking.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

John Hobby

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
2000 Eastern 2710, 6BT Cummins
A few year ago I was at the New Bedford Whaling Museum and they had a display on this. It was invented in Mass. Very expensive to operate and many other issues. Seems like the Mass DMF is all hot and heavy on this subject with new regs for both commercial and residential fishing. Com guys need to change all lines over to 3/8". The use of the Novibraid South Shore link is also suggested is the line used does not have a 1,700 pound break rate. Residential folks need to change over to 5/16" line. The DMF said they will have some supplies to provide the commercial guys and that will be announce when and where. That along with the no fishing dates for both comm and res, it seems that this will be hard on the comm guys, not on the res aside from cost of line change. Just amazing to think that this has come to be a new thing. I understand the closure but the added cost of gear is not fair for the com guys. And it seems that the closure is not south of the cape, most Bay up to the north.

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
A few year ago I was at the New Bedford Whaling Museum and they had a display on this. It was invented in Mass. Very expensive to operate and many other issues. Seems like the Mass DMF is all hot and heavy on this subject with new regs for both commercial and residential fishing. Com guys need to change all lines over to 3/8". The use of the Novibraid South Shore link is also suggested is the line used does not have a 1,700 pound break rate. Residential folks need to change over to 5/16" line. The DMF said they will have some supplies to provide the commercial guys and that will be announce when and where. That along with the no fishing dates for both comm and res, it seems that this will be hard on the comm guys, not on the res aside from cost of line change. Just amazing to think that this has come to be a new thing. I understand the closure but the added cost of gear is not fair for the com guys. And it seems that the closure is not south of the cape, most Bay up to the north.
All mass state water currently closed to fixed gear. It’s opens end of April I think but can be extended further. Not good

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
That's the sticky part - there is also the concern over drag nets - though I doubt many people are running drag nets in the rocky areas I drop most of my traps. Also what happens when my trap catches on something? They could take the tech further and do something like AIS that marks where traps are already set, but I think that would make it worse as most folks would just go set their traps where the most traps are on their map.

Even with ropes people have set on my traps or fouled the lines, with our currents the buoys tend to be a ways away from the trap, and of course everyone wants to set their traps "near" my buoys because obviously I know what I am doing.. :)
Ever hear of roller gear? Draggers will tow right over the worst bottom, if they want to fish there kiss your gear goodby. You must be a puget sound boater with shrimp & crab.

Wiretime

Lieutenant
Ever hear of roller gear? Draggers will tow right over the worst bottom, if they want to fish there kiss your gear goodby. You must be a puget sound boater with shrimp & crab.
correct - Puget Sound, Columbia, and the coast between.

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
new MASS 2021 rec lobster reg....5/16 line required. Lousy pulling skinny line by hand

Those were pretty much my thoughts too when I saw that new reg. F'n ridiculous!

AtoZ

Lieutenant Commander
That trapping shrimp around here? Looks like Biggens !!

Top Bottom