Rot and rust

MAArcher

Captain
What are my options for dealing with the rotten corner of my roof?

Roof rot.jpg

There's still some meat in there, the corner feels solid if you pull on it. I was thinking of taking a board, coating it in wax or whatever epoxy won't stick to, and clamping it under there. Then drilling a few holds through the top and pouring some West Marine Penetrating Epoxy in there to fill up all the voids and make things solid. $60 repair without too big a headache?

Second question, is there a magic elixir to remove rust stain from paint?
Rust.jpg

Also, the black thing is my davit pad. It was horribly rusted and flaking off in big chunks. I picked off the loose pieces then hit it with a wire wheel. Then I painted it with Rustoleum Rust Reformer. I've never used it before, but it seems amazing. If it holds up at all it will be a product that I'll always keep in hand. I'll probably top coat it with some regular gray Rustoleum. If I get a season or two without it bleeding more rust all over the place it will be a small miracle.

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
Worx toilet bowl cleaner from Home Depot or Ospho cleaning acid to remove rust stains. Use gloves and goggles if you use Ospho and rinse it off all surfaces pretty quickly and completly.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Hard to get any epoxy or poly to kick off on wet wood. Some times you can seal it up with something thick like hull and deck , kicked off hard. I would saw it of, and wrap some glass around a new piece of wood. It looks like the problem goes further forward than just the edge.

Cool Boat

Commander
We use the Evapo Rust in the shop, around ten dollars a gallon at Walmart. Safe to touch/handle. Might be worth a try as well as the other spray bottle rust removers. You could also dip/soak the plate in it the next time you need to treat it.
I agree with Traditions above, when it's time, cut it out and redo it. Maybe with a better drip edge to shed the water, not let it wick back into the wood.

Top Bottom