Round clearing ports (scuppers) ??

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I'm considering installing round clearing ports close to the corners of the stern to clear the water and debris from the deck.

Are there any of the shelf quality round stainless fittings our would I have to have one "custom made"?

Any manufacturers ??? Could not really find anything online.

Appreciated, Bill D

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
scuppers

if you are going to be pulling pots, round scuppers , no matter how big don't work well in my experience, oval scuppers cut in then glassed work better clearing spiders etc. , if your not fishing then round will be ok, glass in directly or glass tubing work well. pvc is tough as it expands and contracts, eventually will leak. if its worth doing, it's worth doing right! in my opinion

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Use the fuel fill caps, and cut a flat spot on the flange so you can get them close to the deck, and you wont have to lean over the stern to screw them in.They should have them in the Hamilton book, bronze, no plastic. If you haven't put the deck in yet ,it is best to have kind of a sump to have the scuppers in, that keeps the water from slopping in on deck. I have seen some boats that have a gutter that goes all the way between the two scuppers, and is a couple inches deep,and 4 inches wide. It makes it easier to clear the deck when the boat is low to start with.

Stinkpot

Commander
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
Agree on the oval shape. Unless you're hooked on round, consider oval. Circular ones only touch the deck at one small spot and it's almost impossible to get every last bit of water to drain through them, unless they're somehow recessed below the level of the deck. Oval will drain everything since it has a much greater tangentially flush segment. I love the way mine came out and you could hose the deck off with a fire hose and its all going to drain out quickly.

But, if you drop something on the deck while underway, its gone. Don't ask how I know that :rolleyes:.

sw7.jpg

SW7a.jpg

sw7.jpg

SW7a.jpg

Kodiakan

Commander
The only advantage to round is you can plug them more easily if carrying heavy. I've seen them threaded and I've seen guys carry plumbers plugs etc. With your skills though I'm sure you can make custom plugs of some kind or another.

duxbait

Captain
I have the round kind. 2'' threaded pvc. I just use the threaded pvc caps to plug them. The caps work good and allow no water in when I want to really load the boat. The scuppers are in recessed ports about 2'' lower than deck level so they clear well. I have flaps on the outside too, 3'' exhaust flaps attached to the hull with 5200. They work decent at stopping water from entering the boat, but are best when backing down.

GLA

Commander
I have 4" threaded bronze round fittings with one side trimmed of so it sits flush with the deck. there are small pockets on the corners about an inch lower than the deck. in terribly rough weather or even when I am running the big wash down pump, I open up the transom door . that will clear a lot of water in a hurry.

if you ever got beached I guess I could screw in the plugs as the water rises around the boat. help the boat self right? never tried it and don't plan on it. I did see a pic on here last week of a 26 ft swamped on the beach as the tide rose up.
I would think the plugs screwed in would have helped his cause some

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Bay Pointe Marina, Savin Hill YC, Milton YC
Boat Make
1986 Hatteras 36 Yanmar 370s & 1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited with 25 Mercury 4S
if you ever got beached I guess I could screw in the plugs as the water rises around the boat. help the boat self right? never tried it and don't plan on it. I did see a pic on here last week of a 26 ft swamped on the beach as the tide rose up.
I would think the plugs screwed in would have helped his cause some
I have circular bronze clearing ports myself, approximately 3" in diameter. I beach my boat all the time and use them every time, keeps the water out of the boat perfectly. I would ask new owners of Leblancs if they kept the source for them. They are the balls, IMHO.

Appreciate them even more when I want to back down hard and/or fishing off the transom. Wet feet are fine in July but not so much in November.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Bill just make nice pretty round glass scuppers and plug them with the red plastic expandable test plugs with the wing nut adjustments that you can get at home depot. I used them on my bowpicker and even used one to block the exhaust outlet in the outdrive after i went to a verna lift for the exhaust. Do make the gutter or depression in front of them to get all the shit to flow out. Hell you could even give them a nice taper/pitch like they do on the tuna doors. Whenever i used the screw in style the threads seemed to get jammed up with sand/grit and wouldn't open easily.

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

Sammythetuna

Lieutenant
resurrecting this old thread... Any new ideas for this? I like to plug the scuppers when tuna fishing (specifically while fighting fish)... backing down on a fish for a couple hours just allows for alot of water in boat.

I glassed over the old scupper drains because I wanted to move them... so I have a fresh start here... I was going to use PVC cleanout pipes but they widen where the threads are so seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Wondering if I just cut round scuppers and use the test plugs as Steve mentioned. I'm thinking 3 or 4 inch hole saw and one of those plugs.

Snake8

Lieutenant Commander
I just put new stainless 4" deck plates in my boat, mostly cuz there were 4" plastic ones there and I redid the deck, so I upgraded. The covers thread from the inside so if I want to plug em its easy. Got em from I think defender marine. 60 bucks each I think or around that, not too bad. Will see if they are that shitty china stainless that rusts or not...

cb34

Rear Admiral
Agree on the oval shape. Unless you're hooked on round, consider oval. Circular ones only touch the deck at one small spot and it's almost impossible to get every last bit of water to drain through them, unless they're somehow recessed below the level of the deck. Oval will drain everything since it has a much greater tangentially flush segment. I love the way mine came out and you could hose the deck off with a fire hose and its all going to drain out quickly.

But, if you drop something on the deck while underway, its gone. Don't ask how I know that :rolleyes:.

View attachment 24228

View attachment 24229

View attachment 24228

View attachment 24229
Real beauty Joe Sargent build ?

Sammythetuna

Lieutenant
I just put new stainless 4" deck plates in my boat, mostly cuz there were 4" plastic ones there and I redid the deck, so I upgraded. The covers thread from the inside so if I want to plug em its easy. Got em from I think defender marine. 60 bucks each I think or around that, not too bad. Will see if they are that shitty china stainless that rusts or not...
do you have pic ?

Top Bottom