Round portholes in trunk cabin

jnoon

Lieutenant Commander
I don't often see D/E's with round portholes in the trunk cabin, and was wondering if anyone had pics of any. I'm trying to get visual perspective of it.

Last edited:
Round port lights

You an see round portlights on Twist- the lobster yacht that we are building for a European customer. The thread is on south shore boatworks in the forum sponsor section. We were reluctant to install round portlights but this is what the owner requested but it looks good

jnoon

Lieutenant Commander
Kodiakan- Thanks, yup, thats what I wanted to see. Personally not a fan of the particular look of that boat. Too many different shapes on those windows for me.

South Shore- That boat is a beauty. I think that is a good example of round portholes looking good, and flowing well with the boat.

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
A poor picture but this is a new build at the Annapolis Boat Show, a downeast or Chesapeake deadrise style with a single round porthole in the trunk cabin.

20131002_180433.jpg

OLD BAY

Rear Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
A better photo of the boat at the Annapolis boat show, also a pic of the tee shirt they are selling.

single porthole.jpg

got the tee shirt.jpg

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
you were looking for round portholes in a trunk cabin a while back and ran across these...

ngb_2012_06_home_01.jpg

round portholes wolf-boat-SWHPL-11371-450x311.jpg

ILONA.jpg

toolmaker

Commander
round port holes

I think that boat is owned by Rives Potts out of Pilots Point Marina Westbrook, CT, The name of the boat is Sammy

Flying Finn

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Sisu
Round Portholes

Here's a look at our boat sporting round portholes. They were taken from an old lobster boat that was scrapped. They are bronze and open from the inside. They did have screens in them to keep out the bugs when opened, but were taken out as they were pretty shot. When we built our boat the ports were probably 40 years old with 40 years of red paint on them. A lot of cleaning but looked new when we put them in. I'd go round every time.

jl0001.jpg

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Here's a look at our boat sporting round portholes. They were taken from an old lobster boat that was scrapped. They are bronze and open from the inside. They did have screens in them to keep out the bugs when opened, but were taken out as they were pretty shot. When we built our boat the ports were probably 40 years old with 40 years of red paint on them. A lot of cleaning but looked new when we put them in. I'd go round every time.
Nice, I like the old school look.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
Ah how the hell could someone scap that boat the Jeanette L..? That boat's frigging gorgeous. Probably everything I could want in a boat.

Tawn

Lieutenant
A better photo of the boat at the Annapolis boat show, also a pic of the tee shirt they are selling.

The Miss Mac II is out of Deale, MD. A friend of mine used to run it. The boat was built in 1936...it's gorgeous and it's for sale.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Ah how the hell could someone scap that boat the Jeanette L..? That boat's frigging gorgeous. Probably everything I could want in a boat.

Until all the white oak sawn frames need replacing and the lumber alone is $8000 or some f#$#$ng thing. The cost of things today is just ruining all our fun.

pyrofan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
wilcox and midland
Until all the white oak sawn frames need replacing and the lumber alone is $8000 or some f#$#$ng thing. The cost of things today is just ruining all our fun.

Back in 1975 my dad and I put most of the ribs in the Jeanette L . They are not sawn ribs but steamed ribs. The hull is stripped plank first then the ribs are steamed and bent to the hull.

The boat that Bob Fuller is working on ..HAZEL W III renamed TWIST.. is the same construction, she was built in 1973. I'm sure Bob will tell you that there was no rot in any of the ribs or cross ties.

The original red lead paint on the inside hull was still in great shape. It all depends on how you build and take care of her.

As far as round port lights almost all the boats my dad built had them, only two I remember didn't.

Flying Finn

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Sisu
round portholes

The Jeanette L is still kicking, the ports were taken from an old boat. Al, you and your father did all the ribs in her, 114 of them and all in one day too. We haven't had her in the water for some time, but maybe now that my brother and I are both retired, we can get her back in shape. The top needs to be replaced, but the rest of the boat is in decent shape. In the mean time, I picked up Sisu 22 CC over on Long Island in 2012 and had a new t-top built. It's the perfect fit for what I can use it for. Would like to take a ride to see the Hazel (Twist) before we get busy in the spring.

Top Bottom