RSA quota????

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
I would love to try to get some RSA quota for sea bass for next season, but I cant seem to get ahold of any one who can tell me how to get it??? How the hell do you get it?? Im told that it is assigned to universities through government grants, and then the universities auction it off and use the proceeds to fund their research. But I cant seem to find any info on the actual auctions and how to get on the bid list.
Can anyone help to point me in the right direction??? thanks in advance for the help.

Hazletalan

Ensign
Boat Make
35 Maine Coaster
Jwalka

I dont have a lot of info because the NOAA web site is down, but here you go.
The auction is typically held in Januray of the year. Prior to the auction, documentation will become available and specify the allotted amounts. In the past, the minimum amount for each species started at 1000 lbs. If you can not make the auction, there is a dial in number to bid by phone. A person I worked with bought 1000 lbs in 2011 and it wasnt easy to fish with. We were a head boat that fished under recreational limits and special permission needed to be sought prior to using from the State of NJ. Every trip needed to be called in on the morning of and you had to call back to give a 2 hour notice of return. Also, we were not allowed to fish with the poundage we had. We were permitted to fish during the closed season and still had to abide by the recreation limits. I know that you need to be pre registered to bid and I think there are dues that must be paid. I hope this helps.
Alan

Top Bottom