Rudder Box Leaks

md2020

Ensign
Any ideas on why the rudder stuffing box locknut keeps loosening up, I basically retighten it once a week...could it be excessive rudder vibration? Boat's a RP35. The rudder doesn't seem to vibrate too bad but then again I don't have another one right there to compare it to. Any advice (on this subject :)) would be appreciated.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
It sounds like the packing is too compressed and you are bottoming the top nut against the flange. It would repack and make it nice & tight. Rudder stuffing boxes are not like a shaft log which requires a gentle touch do to the spinning and heat. Rudder hardly move so sock it down you cannot do any damage in doing so. Also make sure the jam nut is nice & tight. Easy fix.To do it correctly the boat should be hauled out. Place three circles of packing and stager the seams.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I had a 35 RP and I used to repack the box in the water.When the packing would dry out it would loosen up,even when tightened extremely tight.It would only leak when under way.3 turns and plenty of grease.Its good to have an inch or so of threads grabbing on the packing nut if possible.I just packed the rudder box in my boat with duramax,but it is a gland type that wont back off,might be worth trying.

md2020

Ensign
Thanks for the replies, didn't have any issues when boat came out of the shop, they used the regular old standby flax packing. Once it got old, and I mean it was old, my bad, I replaced it with the duramax type packing material, that never sealed, bolt was constantly coming loose. I'm going back to the flax and give it a shot boat is still out of the water so hopefully it'll work out. Again, thanks for the info.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I wonder if the problem with the RP35 is that the packing dry's out while the boat is just sitting there compared to when it is running. I noticed that when I sit without much fuel my stern is almost out of the water which makes me think that the packing is higher than the water level, hence drying out.

You guys have had these boats longer than I. Traditions when you repacked yours in the water did you get much water out of it? God I bet if you wanted to you could almost ballast the stern out of the water on these RP's...

I have one that leaks slightly but only when underway, which to me is when water pressure is really on it...

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
small world! having leaky rudder stuffing box also.
traditions! Hi!. what is duramax? mfgrs name? or a type of flaxpacking / greese? thanks. Tommy:rolleyes:

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I have taken the nut right off and rowed ashore to repack it before.The top of the box is above the water line.Flax should be replaced every year in the spring in my opinion.The duramax is a new type packing,I think it is Teflon or some space age shit.I tried it on the main shaft on my RP and didn't have very good luck with it, and ended up going back to flax and it worked fine.The duramax is black,and it is sold by the inch,the 1/4 inch in my rudder box was 39 cents an inch at Hamiltons.There was a white packing that was kind of the same idea,but I didn't look for that as the duramax was in there already,and I just replaced a couple of turns.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom