Rudder help

Seaweags

Lieutenant
Pulling rudder on 36 Wayne beal ,,stuffing box out ,not enough height between top of rudder an hull to clear keel shoe can I stick bottle jack an block of wood an hope to spread keel an bottom dimension or is there a better way? Reason for this is rudder seems to chatter at idle an I have probably 1/8 play between rudder post an shoe is this normal ?fiberglass rudder doesn't seem to be loose or separated on shaft. Am I wasting my time?

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Pictures man, pictures. Any chance?

My boat had about 1/2" of play from the same thing and I am sure it started where you are now so I dont think you are wasting your time. Sounds like you are missing something or just need to cut the top off the rudder post (any extra length up there?). How short of coming out of the shoe are you?

Last edited:

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
with the complete stuffing box out the rudder post should be flopping in the breeze & easy to just lift out of the shoe, slide to the side & drop out.
We need some pictures it the above does not make scene. On the rudder shoe. I like to have the hole matched and a small cutlass bearing install. It work great & keeps things from wearing. I would not do the bottle jack spread....

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Most of them have a notch cut in one half of the skeg where the skeg bearing was slid in with the rudder in it. They then glassed the piece they removed back in place. Clean the paint away from your skeg and check to see if there is a notch, if so, just drill it in the corners and use a hacksaw blade or jig saw to re-notch it.

No biggie.

Seaweags

Lieutenant
Thanks for info will try an get pics on sat . Defiantly will grind paint an look for notch. Wouldn't think there's to much left in keel shoe ,but not sure . How far do they normally sit in shoe. Also once I get it out should I stick with glass or buy/build a stainless one ,don't know advantage of ss but sure see a lot more ss then glass ones

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Probably sits in the skeg bearing about an inch, the skeg bearing sits in the skeg roughly an inch and a half.

Stainless rudders are easier to fabricate, repair and replace.

Plus some say they're faster. ;)

Top Bottom