Rule Bilge Pump Issue

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
OK, I have a Rule 2000 non automatic bilge pump wired to a model 43 rocker swith and a Rule super float swith. The pump is about six months old and we put boat in water yesterday. Went to check boat tonight and the pump in auto mode on swith was on and no water in compartment. Lifted float switch and dropped into down position and still would not shut off. Any ideas on what the issue is, would it be the float swith as both are fairly new. Very frustrating to say the least.

Thanks,

Dave

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
Swith works in Manual and I believe it is fine also, pretty new

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Is your bilge pump 2 wire or 3 wire ? If 3 wire there should be a manual on switch somewhere. That might be on. If its 2 wire your switch is stuck closed.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
OK, I have a Rule 2000 non automatic bilge pump wired to a model 43 rocker swith and a Rule super float swith. The pump is about six months old and we put boat in water yesterday. Went to check boat tonight and the pump in auto mode on swith was on and no water in compartment. Lifted float switch and dropped into down position and still would not shut off. Any ideas on what the issue is, would it be the float swith as both are fairly new. Very frustrating to say the least.

Thanks,

Dave

Did it ever work right?

If not ,it could be the switch or incorrect wiring.

If it did work correctly and it doesn't any more i would inspect for a obstruction under the float that prevents it from bottoming to a off position. Make sure the float switch is level. If neither of those apply, check the switch and float switch.

Last edited:

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
Thanks everyone, will go down and tackle tomorrow night, going to review the wiring diagram and work way back to switch. If wired correctly (should be, no issues last year) and no obstuctions, will replace the switch.

pugsley

Captain
float switches do not work since they took the mercury out, i went through 9 of them in two years (mercury switch lasted 12 years until the wires turned to dust). buy the ultimate saftey switch if you can find it. about $120 but at least they work

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Thanks everyone, will go down and tackle tomorrow night, going to review the wiring diagram and work way back to switch. If wired correctly (should be, no issues last year) and no obstuctions, will replace the switch.

I suspect the wiring is fine if it wasn't touched since last year. Otherwise the pump won't run at all. For whatever reason , the float switch isn't breaking the circuit .

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I forgot what float switches I got when I was sick of crawling around in the bilge replacing rule float switches. I wish I could remember because I never had a problem again :confused:

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
We all should get and install what Capt Larry installed on his 31jc. I know there was a forum on it here somewhere. I see if I can find or if im lucky LaRY WILL JUST CHIME HERE BEFORE THAT AND HE CAN EXPLAIN IT FULL DETAIL HIMSELF AND HOW HE DID IT. ;) GOD I HATE MY COMPUTER WITH CAPS SORRY GUYS

MikesMarine22

Captain
Boat Make
Holland 14, YB 33
I gave up using Rule products, seems like I would have to replace them after one season.

greg

Captain
I'm going to try a whale pump in the keel this season. It has the same switch mechanism as the electronic switches above.

Can't be any less reliable than the rule, and it has a higher flow rate.

pugsley

Captain
i haven't had any trouble with the rule pumps, but the switches are out of the question, i also used 2 of the johnson switches, they didn't last either

Overkill

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44 Calvin Beal
Rule has most of their products made in Mexico now, as result quality now SUCKS.

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
Forgot to post up last week, changed the rule SUPER SWITH which super sucks after being less than a year old and changed to a different Rule float switch and it works like a charm. Still going to look into those Ultra switches you guys told me about.

Dave

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Dave,

I just bought three of the the Ultra Saferty Systems Ultimate Float Switchs. A friend of mine had one in his 35 Duffy for 15 years before he replaced it. Tomorrow I'll start putting them in. I'm going to start with the lazarette is it is the easiest to get to.

Top Bottom