Running angle input...

Rockasauras

Captain
I have been lurking on this forum and some others to gather information to make an informed decision in regards to purchase a DE boat new or used in the 32-36 ft range with good to excellent head sea capability and a fairly level running angle. I will use the boat fishing inshore and offshore some wreck fishing, drifting and trolling, whether it bass in the fall or tuna in the summer. Also would like to install a green stick. Keeping it simple, which hulls give a good head sea ride at level angle barring being submarine wet ? Oh, I prefer open bulkhead and no engine box. I did get several quotes thus far but due to the time of the year there is not many boats available to experience these ride characteristics personally. Looking for some help...

Rockasauras

Captain
What speed would you like to run at?

Tunaorlater,

18-20kts in the rough would suffice with the capability of a couple more kts when the sheep disappear. Rather have and pay for the extra power than not have it and wish I did later.

Love that layout on the 36' BHM "ALEXA" That would be the upper end of what I would or could do. although it would not be a speed demon I just hate to pound.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Slow the boat down to Bruno speeds and there is no spray.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Slow the boat down to Bruno speeds and there is no spray.

That looks like 15K to me so that is Bruno speed. Funny, the second time I looked at the video, I didn't see a bow thruster...

Rockasauras

Captain
This one runs pretty flat and fast too.:D:mrgreen:
Downeast Flowers Boatworks 36 - YouTube

Yes it does...Going to be in Mass in next couple weeks and hoping to look at another poster's Flowers 33 along with a few other makers boats. Wanting to become more familiar with ride characteristics of other models I may want to avoid or not waste time with.
I communicated with Ken in regards to a build and would require some waiting and planning ahead to get on his schedule. They are quite busy, which is a good thing. Problem with a used is costs involved in freshening up to where I may like it starts to close in on the cost of a new one. I have scoured the sites and very little to twitch about. Then there's the broker's who either don't reply or supply inquired upon or requested info.

Maybe we can talk more specifics on your boat sometime.

Thanks, Pat

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Not the length you are looking for.....fwiw

my 25 T Jason (Calvin Beal design) running @ 14-15 knots...pretty flat to my eye.

25 T Jason Running #2 - YouTube

btw, if you do a "search" DE pictures there is a long thread with still pics of various DEs underway.

good luck with your search.

Ken Flowers builds a GREAT running flat DE The 33 and 36.
Craftsmanship, fit and finish are 2nd to none.

FWIW, Bill D

Top Bottom