Running attitude & Tabs

Rockasauras

Captain
How many of you have had the inclination to install trim tabs or is that a no-no on this forum ? I have noticed what appears to be a bow high running attitude on one or two makes I see here on this site. I am aware that load distribution will be a factor and quite possibly placement of lifting rails (strakes). Most of the Flowers running shots I have seen look great where visibility is superb. Would the built down be less likely to run bow high or is it hit and miss with a balance incorporated in the build ?
BTW ...skeg built rig I am looking at has Volvo tabs installed...It would be great to see your running pics with or without tabs !

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I think I have read every thread here on this subject.. seems like the hard core fishing guys and commercial guys are against them because they can cut a line or get caught in gear. Anyone else who has run them seems to be in love with them both trim tabs and volvo tabs. There is an anti tab undercurrent running too but seems natural to me.

Putting the volvo tabs on my boat BTW. The crew talked me off the lifting rail ledge...

Rockasauras

Captain
...yeah, I get the school of thought that if the hull is right, and balanced there is no need for the tabs. I am onboard 100% with that. Coming from the dark side (planning hulls) I have had excellent head sea boats with or without tab influence. Some needed tabs not to improve ride, but to improve visibility. Riding bow high my calves were sore at days end from standing on my toes. Without a doubt tabs were a great asset in a quartering sea (head or following) for leveling purposes...these Volvo tabs appear to be the least invasive, although an experienced angler can get around a lot of obstacles. I don't charter trips and rarely have greenies on the pole to fret this stuff.

cb34

Rear Admiral
Tabs

Tabs will improve every hull adapt to changing weight and sea conditions. The only people who argue against are the ones currently running a boat without them;)

DBM

Commander
Lite User

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Loved my tabs on my smaller boats especially the deep V's. In addition to being able to put the bow down, you can tip to windward or leeward to reduce spray.

In order to make best use of tabs, it helps to start with a boat that runs a little bow high. Then the bow can be put down for running but still raised for plowing into big head seas. If the boat already runs level, I don't think they would be much use on a DE

Door#3

Lieutenant
Mine benefits from the tabs sometimes. On a long run on autopilot I tweak them to see where I get the best speed. I have a JC hull so I never use them running down sea ...

Fvdestiny

Commander
Website
www.destinyfishingscharters.com
Boat Make
38 northern bay green stick boat/30 Calvin beal tuna boat/20 Seacraft Master Angler
absolutely unequivocally without a doubt will help adjust the attitude of any boat and create efficiencies that those without tabs will never get.all things being equal. as with any boat ,weight will always be added over time. Even if a boat is perfectly balanced one day , when weight is added ,it can't always be centered. With the tabs , you can counter this weight when needed and put tabs in the up position when not. I've run boats with and without on very long runs and with the tabs it makes all the difference in the world for comfort and ride..imo

Chum Pot

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Parker
Tabs are good, and adjustable is optimal.
Moving through water and moving through air share some properties,
Imagine a plane without flaps :ugeek:

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I like the recessed tab installations I have seen here but what a pile of work.

If you had a big tuna at the boat after taking who knows how long to get to the grounds, set up, hook up, fight it etc. then cut your line on a trim tab I could see how it might piss you off. Especially since many of the serious/professional fisherman are running relatively slow boats.

For some people though its like a dirty secret. They have them but dont want to admit it.;)

Last edited:

Rockasauras

Captain
GOTCHA ... thanks guys....Well aware of the benefits of the tabs from a down south guy. I was hoping to get some differential input on these (DE) hulls since there seems to be an avoidance of this topic ... Well respected DE hull I was crackin' out on was tabbed(s) out the wazzhoo ....

sandytows

Lieutenant
Tabs are a no-no on the racing circuit which I think has kept them off many a true downeast.
I have a friend who has two monster 4' tabs on his MDI45. He swears by them when moving his gear long distance. His boat will do 20kts with or without 100 traps on deck. before the tabs it was an angry 15kts with the traps on deck.
His boat is open transom with tailgate so when setting a string the tailgate is down and the traps fall off behind the tabs.

Top Bottom