Running Boat Through the Winter

aobrien

Ensign
Keeping the boat in the water through the winter this year up in Maine. Looking for any tips on prepping the boat for the cold/running all year round/winter. Any help would be appreciated. Gas/Crusader inboard, single bilge pump. Through hull for engine and one for raw water washdown. Curious what guys do for keeping bilge warm (lightbulb, heater etc?) and for heat (A/C heater off inverter, bus heater etc. Thanks in advance! -Adam

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Unless you have a way of keeping the boat warm your gonna have to winterize it after every use. Always good to dump some non-tox in the bilge before you leave it too. Kudos to you for staying in. Those token 50+ degree bluebird days we get in the winter sure would be nice to have a boat in the water still. I have the same boat/engine btw

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
get proficient at winterizing engine if you plan to use it as mentioned. I ran one in the winter and the strainer was set up nice to pour the 1.5 gallons of non tox antifreeze in. It was a dry stack and the discharge was a deck hose....so it was easy to see when the pink stuff made it through. I disagree with the bilge needing antifreeze, when it's in the water temps keep any water from freezing. Bilge pump plumbing needs to be A1 install. It needs to drain back so it doesn't freeze. I've also insulated the top section as it goes overboard to help protect against ice build up. Even the engine is really well protected except for the coldest nights with wind. Blocking air intakes/vents also prevents heat loss.

I keep my keel cooled workboat in the water all winter. No shore power or heat. When running I have a bus heater off the engine coolant that heats the cabin. Good battery system is important. I do have a solar charger.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I'm thinking of getting one of these portable planar diesel heaters, they are in a case so it can be used for heating tents or cabins also. They also can be hard mounted in the boat and flexible ducting run off them to heat/defrost different areas of the boat. Don't buy the chinese knockoffs they tend to catch on fire. 1602854682575.png 1602854841036.png My friend makes them, BK's Marine Services in Palmer, AK Planar 44D Diesel Air Heater | bkms
1602854682575.png
1602854841036.png

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

RGT

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User

DotRat

Commander
Boat Make
Row Boat
That's a pretty cool device and at 1150 not bad in the checkbook either!

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Steve, that 44D looks like a good one. Didn't you post that a couple of years ago ? Why havn't you got one yet ? Hell he's right down the road from you.
Myself and Brian work together a lot, he fabricates most of the dingy lift davits for my customers that buy Electra Dynes from me.He did ship one to a guy in Maine last year but never received any feedback on it. I'm thinking one of those suitcase heaters would be real nice for the boat as well as a backup heater for the place in NJ if the power goes out. They will run for a couple of days on a ATV battery. They burn just about nothing nothing for fuel. His place is 10 minutes from my shop.
check out this video about the heaters

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

aobrien

Ensign
Unless you have a way of keeping the boat warm your gonna have to winterize it after every use. Always good to dump some non-tox in the bilge before you leave it too. Kudos to you for staying in. Those token 50+ degree bluebird days we get in the winter sure would be nice to have a boat in the water still. I have the same boat/engine btw
looking forward to it. Appreciate the heads up on the nontoxic and bilge comments. I’m told a 100w lightbulb below decks should do the trick but I’m suspicious. I’ve seen varying reports on ceramic bilge heaters vs block heaters and everything in between. Appreciate the reply!

aobrien

Ensign
get proficient at winterizing engine if you plan to use it as mentioned. I ran one in the winter and the strainer was set up nice to pour the 1.5 gallons of non tox antifreeze in. It was a dry stack and the discharge was a deck hose....so it was easy to see when the pink stuff made it through. I disagree with the bilge needing antifreeze, when it's in the water temps keep any water from freezing. Bilge pump plumbing needs to be A1 install. It needs to drain back so it doesn't freeze. I've also insulated the top section as it goes overboard to help protect against ice build up. Even the engine is really well protected except for the coldest nights with wind. Blocking air intakes/vents also prevents heat loss.

I keep my keel cooled workboat in the water all winter. No shore power or heat. When running I have a bus heater off the engine coolant that heats the cabin. Good battery system is important. I do have a solar charger.
I think I am going to go the route of a bus heater, glad to hear you have good luck with one. My strainer is easily accessed, ive heard of some guys rigging a T-connection with a valve and hose to just stick in a bucket of non tox. Thanks for the come back

aobrien

Ensign
I'm thinking of getting one of these portable planar diesel heaters, they are in a case so it can be used for heating tents or cabins also. They also can be hard mounted in the boat and flexible ducting run off them to heat/defrost different areas of the boat. Don't buy the chinese knockoffs they tend to catch on fire. View attachment 91946 View attachment 91947 My friend makes them, BK's Marine Services in Palmer, AK Planar 44D Diesel Air Heater | bkms
View attachment 91946
View attachment 91947
Thing looks pretty legit, will have to dig into this a little further, thanks for the heads up!

Reelman955

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
2007 Seaworthy/BHM 315 Yanmar
I can say the 100 watt light bulb does the trick for Long Island winters. Dont know if it was necessary but I used it for peace of mind and had no issues.

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Top Bottom