Rust-Oleum 207004 Marine Topside paint

Bawugna

Lieutenant
Has anyone ever used this stuff on a boot stripe? Was it good?

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Toro

Commander
Boat Make
19 Pointer
One of our old timers in the yard here uses nothing but Rust Oleum instead of Petit or Interlux single part paints anymore.

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
I've used plain old Rust-Oleum alkyd enamel on my boot stripes for 25 years. It works real well. Lasts for years.
Did the same here in the Chesapeake, lasted and looked great for years.

Onearcher

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Starcraft islander 221
I have a STARCRAFT ISLANDER 221, ive owned it for about 3 years. Its was a fresh water boat before i got it and now its strictly salt. Every year i remove as much of the bottom paint as i can, as the previous owner painted the bottom with RUSTOLIUM GLOSS BLACK. That boat will be completely repainted with rustolium paint this year. The paint is applied with a sponge roller and its comes out great. Oh by the way shes a 78 and theres no pitting anywhere. Just in case your wondering the white tubes are PVC and the reels are penn 116L. I cut groves cross wise so that the reel clamps actually "SNAP" into place to hold the rods.

IMG-20130531-00212.jpg

Last edited:

JoeD

Lieutenant
I have a STARCRAFT ISLANDER 221, ive owned it for about 3 years. Its was a fresh water boat before i got it and now its strictly salt. Every year i remove as much of the bottom paint as i can, as the previous owner painted the bottom with RUSTOLIUM GLOSS BLACK. That boat will be completely repainted with rustolium paint this year. The paint is applied with a sponge roller and its comes out great. Oh by the way shes a 78 and theres no pitting anywhere. Just in case your wondering the white tubes are PVC and the reels are penn 116L. I cut groves cross wise so that the reel clamps actually "SNAP" into place to hold the rods.

Are you going to paint the bottom with the same Rustoleum? If so, how does it hold up with the trailer rollers or bunks?

Onearcher

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Starcraft islander 221
I have a roller trailer and YES I bottom paint her with oil base gloss. I've done this for many years on several boats. Had one guy recently tell me that Aluminum Boats should be on bunks and not rollers. Something about making dimples in the hull. Maybe with today's boats but this 78 was built to last. That boat ,at the time, was the top of the line and she still looks good after fresh paint and wax one time a month.

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
A guy I know accidentally used the wrong paint on the bottom of the work boat. He put gloss rustolum black instead of the petit bottom paint. Damned if it was just good as the other boats with real bottom paint!

Onearcher

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Starcraft islander 221
ABSOLUTELY, and where I trailer my boat about twice a month I use about an 8th of a cup of bleach in warm water, 5 gallon pail, nothing sticks to her. If Rustolium sold for the 280 bucks a gallon Petit does everyone would want it . Lol

Pamlico

Lieutenant
Boat Make
1979 SISU 22, Perkins 4.236
Just did my boot strip with the Rustoleum top sides this season. She's only been in the water a couple weeks so I can't report on the durability. It goes on good that's all a can say for now. I do like the paint, used it inside of the cabin too.

image.jpg

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
A guy I know accidentally used the wrong paint on the bottom of the work boat. He put gloss rustolum black instead of the petit bottom paint. Damned if it was just good as the other boats with real bottom paint!

So the truth is out?........we've all been suckered by the paint companies! :eek: I recall an opposite type of story when I painted the bottom of my 11' skiff with genuine "red lead" bottom paint back in 1970. That boat grew so much weed on the bottom of it, it took forever to get it cleaned off. :lol:

Top Bottom