Sad News Regarding Steven James

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Good Evening,

I know many of you know Steven James and heard of a duck hunting accident today where two men lost thier lives and one surviving. Unfortunately Steve and Robert Becher did not survive. Steve was an avid hunter who hunted locally and in Africa. Some of you may have known Steve as he was the President of the Stellwagen Bank Charter Boat Association, Boston Big Game Fishing Club running the Oak Bluffs Monster Shark Tournement. He also was a member of the NMFS Highly Migratory Species Advisory Panel and was a strong advocate for fisherman. Steve was not afraid to speak his mind when addressing fishery management issues. He will be deeply missed and I hope people keep him and his family in thier thoughts and prayers.

Three duck hunters fall into Westport River; rescued by first responders but conditions unknown - News Local Massachusetts - Boston.com

Respectfully,

Dave Waldrip

Last edited:

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Steven was a good man and always an advocate for the commercial and recreational fleet, as far as I am concerned. A sad day.

CaptFred

Lieutenant
Boat Make
36 Flowers / Cape Island
This is so sad, Steve was a friend and a great person. He will be missed

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
RIP, I didn't know the man but it sounds like we lost a good one.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
BBGFC was such a strong part of growing up for me with fishing. I remember attending their seminars and kept in touch with people all throughout. OBMST was great, as well as his other summer tuna tournaments, none really seemed to last but were fun. Sad.

I like the quote from the end of Chasing mavericks... seeing if I can find it now. One of them is about people who push the limits, discover that sometimes the limits push back.

atlanticblue

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
35 ft Bruno Stillman
Rip Steven James

Condolences for his family! He was a great guy! Had some great stories! Can't believe it!he will be missed by so many! Condolences for both of there families!

Last edited:

Seacat

Lieutenant
A very sad say. Steve was a great guy and did so much for fishing both near and far. The BBGFC was such a great group for local fishing in the 80's. He lived life to the fullest May he rest in peace.

jon3030

Commander
Boat Make
35' Five Islands
Rip

Steve was a great guy and when I was younger he was happy to share tuna and shark numbers with me. He always had a smile on his face, and was very enthusiastic about fishing and life in general. Wow, what a tragedy. He will be missed.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Someone sent me the link to that story at work. That's a tragedy! They must've been taking on water and were unaware of it. Not much freeboard on a duck boat.

Keeper

Lieutenant
Very sad, fished w him in the late 90s. Could catch fish, generous sharing knowledge.
There is a gathering on Sunday at 1 pm at the Ocean Deck in his memory.
RIP Steve.

Top Bottom