Safety regs for 36 vs 35 documented

maineguides

Lieutenant Commander
How much more safety equipment is needed for a 36' vs 35' documented vessel?

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Grab a copy of the colregs. Plus in each state it may vary a lil. Here in new york laws are always changing.

greg

Captain
The only difference I can see is with respect to rafts:

A vessel less than 36 feet in length that carries 3 or less persons within 12-miles of the coastline is not required to carry survival craft; a vessel of more than 36-feet operating with 3 or less persons within 12-miles of the coastline may substitute a buoyant apparatus for the required survival craft.

But state rules may also apply....

HappyHour

Commander
Boat Make
35' Mitchell Cove
Depending of what use the vessel is for, and distance from shore you plan on operating from: Raft, and hydro-static release for the EPIRB are two biggies..

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
36 feet and under, does that mean 36 feet 1 inch the other way?I know the 37 Repcos need a raft.The hard floatation rafts are no longer accepted.At the fishermens forum some one asked the coast guard guy if they would or could change the law to having rafts done every year to every two years.He said it could be done if people made them aware they wanted the law changed.

bestfish

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
36' Harris Cuttyhunk
i just followed that link to fishsafe.info it will generate a checklist of excatly what you are required to have based on the information you put in (size, crew, range, ect)

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
That be great with the rafts who's going to get it started lol the raft shit is crazy to get packed every year

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
36 feet and under, does that mean 36 feet 1 inch the other way?I know the 37 Repcos need a raft.The hard floatation rafts are no longer accepted.At the fishermens forum some one asked the coast guard guy if they would or could change the law to having rafts done every year to every two years.He said it could be done if people made them aware they wanted the law changed.

how long have they have there heads in there asses? i believe that this has to be one of the biggest complaints from the majority of smaller class commercial boats...
there the ones who change the requirements so fast they cant get the information out in print before they change it again..(ie;) the new commercial regs/ examinations.. "everyone must have done by 2013"...mad scramble, uscg cant keep up, change it again.. "everyone must have done by 2015"
again.. i`m all for safety, but that liferaft thing every year is a joke.

HappyHour

Commander
Boat Make
35' Mitchell Cove
Coast guard safety sticker lasts for 2 years... So... Not saying u'll never get boarded after one year, but would be nice if compliances matched one another.

gettes

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Osmond Beal 36
That be great with the rafts who's going to get it started lol the raft shit is crazy to get packed every year

Where do we start the write in campaign. I had to buy a new one last year so I get my only two year window for this year. Would make a lot more sense to do every couple of years.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Just had it done in august....and it was only good till dec 31...another inspection on tuesday morning.......this time it's good for two years.....if your documentation ends in a odd number this year you get a two year sticker....thank God

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
The Coast Guard was at the MLA meeting talking about the mandatory inspections.Some one asked about the rafts,and he said that it needed to be brought to attention.I,ll see what I can find out.It would be nice to have two years on a repack.The raft companies wont like it.

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
If you need the safety equipment it doesnt matter what size your boat was. No one who ever uses their equipment in an emergency regrets the cost.

Top Bottom