sand crabs????

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
I have been catching a shit load of these things and I am looking for a consistent bulk buyer. the co op will take them at the dock but only like one crate a day. I will need to move a lot more than that to make any kind of money here. I am going to start targeting them. if anyone knows of an outlet for them please let me know.

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
Are these the sand crabs like lady crabs or like mole crabs? If you want to unload bait crabs try to contact regal bait.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
They aren't bait, they are food. They look like a rock crab, or jonna. And they tast like blue crab.

jennig

Ensign
I'm with you there. I can get 80 to 100 crates a day during the winter months. but not enough buyers.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
Its actually called a rock crab. But locally they are known as sand crabs because the are commonly found on sandy bottom. I will try to get pictures, They look very similar to a joanna crab, but they taste much better than joanna's

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Exactly why I'd like to see one, so many local names for the different kinds of crabs up here in Maine. I bet our sand crabs and rock crabs look differently than yours, and even then from harbor to harbor and island to island they will change again between names and descriptions. Frustrating with a capital F.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Its like salmon in Alaska, every village has a different name!!!

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
pictures

Ok travis. As you requested, here are some pictures of a so called sand crab. Real name is rock crab. This one was a dead one that I found the other day hiding under some shit on my boat, so he has a little less color than a nice lively one would.

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Sure it's not a giant tic? We're not far from Plum Island where the lab is.......(I mean was)........so we just tend to think like that. :rolleyes: :D

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I think we called those white leggers in nj. If so then a guy was selling them for tog bait for 65 bucks a tote full the other day

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
Im not sure. I dont believe that they are regulated in RI waters.. They are very very tasty though. They are way better than a jonna crab. More like blue crab.

unclefish

Commander
Boat Make
32 Mitchell Cove
I heard they us them down in NJ for taug bait also. We do get a few here to in long island sound.

winterking

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
26’ Duffy

HappyHour

Commander
Boat Make
35' Mitchell Cove
Locally we call those " bitch crabs", name says it all.

I do believe the official name for them is, Picked Toe crab. Midcoast maine they actually get quite big. Ive never seen em any bigger then in this pic however.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
According to NMFS it is a rock crab. And this is a medium sized one they do get much bigger. The largest one I have seen was around 1.25 LBS. They go for around .75-100 a LB around where I fish.

Top Bottom