Sanding interior corners and seams

tashmoo2

Commander
Travis,

Getting a smooth inside fillet or corner is always one of the toughest finishintg jobs for me. What is the best way to get a smooth inside corner or fillet and what polyester material do you use that is easy to sand. Brand is ok for me.

Thank you,

Ed

5akman

Commander
Website
www.alldrinsalmon.com
Boat Make
40' Snowball gillnetter
For small holes/imperfections, use autobody spot putty, a one part easy to apply, easy to sand putty. For bigger "fills" you can use any poly based product such as bondo. To easily sand contours, I use a small piece of closed cell foam that I cut from a backpacking sleeping pad. Wrap the sandpaper around it and it conforms to any contour.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
If it's something that is going to be painted over I would use Rage. It's like bondo, only not lame. Rage won't absorb moisture like bondo will so you can rest easy. If it's something that is going to be glassed over, I would use hull & deck putty. Use a putty knife that you've rounded over on your belt sander/grinder/etc and it makes a swell radius. If it is a finished piece, I just use gelcoat until I get it where I want it and just sand it with the correct grit to get the finish that I want.

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
Ronnie and Steve. you guys are just the best when (as is everyone else here ) it comes to figuring out something so simple. IT's the old "now why didn't I think of that? " Now go catch a fish.! lol;)

chrisp

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
23 SeaCraft
Use an osolating multi tool with the sand paper attachment works great for corners

RKrough

Commander
Boat Make
Midland 19
I have used a cake knife a bunch of times to make radii on inside corners. Can't say it is any better than the other methods, except cake knives can be found in most every dollar store.

Rage filler is nice stuff I used it to make a mold for a shifter-kart seat last winter. For the boats I have always used Cabosil. It seems pricey when you feel the weight of it but a gallon( about $12) of it will make over 2 gallons of paste filler using poly resin or epoxy.
080-wctos7_large.jpg

Capt. Rick

Commander
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
The fellow who built my boat had a kick azz tool for that. I was a polished stainless steel ball which was mounted to a handle. The ball spun on an axle. He used hull and deck putty and the fillets out perfect. using the ball roller tool. Sorry I have no idea where he got that tool from. I remember I was mighty impressed with that.

April 11th Trip 037.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom