Sandy report from N.J.

yanmar

Captain
Boat Make
26 chesepeake 22 tripp
We got our power restored last night so i am able to give you this report . I am 40 miles north of Atlantic City and it seems we got the brunt of this storm . Barrier islands to the north and south of me were destroyed ( our thoughts and prayers to all who lost their homes ) The damage in my area was beyond my wildest imagination for a cat. 1 hurricane . The storm surge was estimated 8 ft. above normal and considering the full moon added we had incredible flooding like i've never seen in my 47 yrs of life . We are slowly trying to get our streets cleared of the down tree's and carnage . Please make a donation to the charities that are affiliated with the storm . Thank You , Dennis Reilly

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
I think the media over-hypes these storms which doesn't help people in general. However, they got it right on this one being a "Frankenstorm". It wasn't a Cat 1 hurricane when it hit you, it was an exploding hybrid which gained strength from two cold systems like a winter storm. What a nightmare. Glad you are physically okay.

Maine news hyped this storm even as it was clear we were going to be spared. Irene also was hyped for us, the storm turned west, and VT & upstate NY got creamed. I fear if a big storm does make aim for my area, people will be numb to the warnings. I am thinking about you Dennis, which means god bless you from this non-theist.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Dennis glad you made it safe and sound. I just can't believe what i'm seeing on the news and internet. I used to live in neptune right on the back side of shark river and that place has been leveled. Wish i could get back there and help out. At least my friends and family are all ok. It going to be a long time before things get back to normal around there. Be safe and take care,
Steve

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
Dennis glad you made it safe and sound. I just can't believe what i'm seeing on the news and internet. I used to live in neptune right on the back side of shark river and that place has been leveled. Wish i could get back there and help out. At least my friends and family are all ok. It going to be a long time before things get back to normal around there. Be safe and take care,
Steve

Just talked to steve!!!!

We survived, thank freeking god we live on a hill !!!!! just got power 2 hours ago. I'm one of the assholes you see on the news that sat in the 4 hour gas line to keep the geset running so my 5 year could stay warm and have food. Got down to the marina, i'm 1 of 6 boats that stayed on the jacks!!!! she semi sunk, water leveil never made it to the pans !!!! got side swiped by a 35 viking, starboard side wiped out. All the glass work is a breeze. lost starboard out rigger, and pulpit rail, holy shit my grandfather was looking out for me. F the speeling 6 days on the edge, first bottle of wine (all i have)

Jim

hurricanesandy7.jpg

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
it could be worse

lmao, i work for doctors, they are out of touch and live in the upity section. I told one about the looting. He said i can borrow his bat. I told him i have an assualt rifle 3 feet away from me, you can keep the bat

Last edited:
Boat Make
Island Gypsy
Here in in Barnegat Bay it appears as though when the eye passed just a little south of here the wind changed from out of the east to out of the south. In doing so all of the water that had been driven in by the east wind and tides was forced up the bay and was trapped at the northern end of the bay. I was not here but I spoke to several people who were and they said the water went up several feet in a matter of minutes.
I think we will find that the new inlet cut through in Mantoloking was from water in the bay going out to the ocean.
If you look at the old historic maps of any barrier island area you will see that barrier islands and their inlets come and go. Lovely area to live, but in the end your home and the sand it sits on will be taken by the Atlantic sooner or later.
I pray for those who were out there and thought it was "just a category 1 storm.”

Top Bottom