Sat phones

maineguides

Lieutenant Commander
Im looking into getting a sat phone. Ive heard that some phones only work off one sat so when it's on the other side of the earth it doesn't work. I'm looking for a simple phone that works all the time and that is cheap to use. It wouldn't be for just emergencies. Won't be having long conversations but would use it to talk with other boats. What is everyone using?

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I have a Globalstar GMP1600 which I think just became some value. Some of the times I do have issues but recently has worked much better. I dont have much more input than that right now. I bought the Pelican case and everything and now I do want to have an external antenna and mount for the dash, like you said.

BTW

Was looking at some of the newer texting style units out there, very interesting stuff. Seems cheaper too, there is a new one offered at West Marine that I may want to take a look at its not spot.

liden

Lieutenant
Had Globalstar for six years and was completely unsatisfied with the coverage gaps and spotty service. Canceled subscription and got a 222 minute plan with Iridium. Also bought the Extreme model phone so a dropped phone would not equal a repair bill.
Unused minutes roll over annually. Texting is easy and cheapest way to communicate.
Can use the phone anywhere worldwide. Reliability is unequalled.

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Hey Shawn I have the same one. I'm also looking to put in the cradle mount. They also have a data cord to link the laptop in. Gotta do some reasearch on that. The cradle kit cost around 350

wiggy

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Seaway 23
I've used the iridiums with some luck while on back country Everglades trips with school students. They never work well under cover, even a tent,you've gotta be out in the open. Most of the time it's not an issue on the deck of a boat.

greg

Captain
One thing to keep in mind is it can be VERY expensive to call another sat phone if you cross carriers (iridium to global star for example). Like $10/min.

Read your plan details very carefully. On the water just use dsc on your VHF.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
The .25cent texts interest me so I can text my buyer, text wife to get a list for things for the boat, etc, find out info at home, etc... after the 120...

Thanks for the link.

Years ago I would say Globalstar sucked, but I think they have repositioned themselves a bit better to compete with Iridium. I do know all Navy CONMAR ships carry iridium though...

greg

Captain
The .25cent texts interest me so I can text my buyer, text wife to get a list for things for the boat, etc, find out info at home, etc... after the 120...

Thanks for the link.

Years ago I would say Globalstar sucked, but I think they have repositioned themselves a bit better to compete with Iridium. I do know all Navy CONMAR ships carry iridium though...

One issue with the delorme or spot is I doubt it will qualify for the cg safety requirement to have either an ssb or a sat phone. You will still need a working sat phone (most of which can send text messages) so I don't see the benefit. That is, assuming you are fishing out past the 50 mile mark.

bluefin650

Commander
One issue with the delorme or spot is I doubt it will qualify for the cg safety requirement to have either an ssb or a sat phone. You will still need a working sat phone (most of which can send text messages) so I don't see the benefit. That is, assuming you are fishing out past the 50 mile mark.
I believe it is going to be required beyond 20 miles

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I do not have a great internet connection here, so can't look it up. One is my sat. phone is already bought so going to keep that to comply with my fishing past 50 miles. Secondly I thought texting was a nightmare on a keypad rather than an Iphone with a keyboard and lastly, I thought my texting rate with globalstar was crazy but that is what I am trying to look up... Got to have toys, lol...

bluefin650

Commander
Does any one know what the difference is between a BGAN prepaid card and an IsatPhone Pro Prepaid card? BGAN seems to have the longer expiration dates.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
We have been looking for a new boat. The Globalstar Gsp-2900 system is on the short list.

After the shit show last year with a hand held being useless in the wheel house. Then having to add a docking station plus an antenna. Which rings like a fire alarm and only works as a speaker phone. Fuck thoose hand helds IMHO.

tashmoo2

Commander
Greg,

Check CG communication requirement. A cell phone meets it. I know it makes no sense but that is what inspector told me. I do not want to start a debate over why you should carry a SSB or satellite phone off-shore.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Greg,

Check CG communication requirement. A cell phone meets it. I know it makes no sense but that is what inspector told me. I do not want to start a debate over why you should carry a SSB or satellite phone off-shore.

Until they try to make a call with it and it has no service. Then you get the fine.

fat2nawilly

Commander
does anybody here have experience with the spot phone at west marine for $499

Latest Posts

Top Bottom