Satellite internet and phone while offshore?

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Are there any affordable options for on boat phone and internet for emergecy calls and pulling sea temp charts etc

F/V Sophia Rose

Lieutenant
Boat Make
32 Holland
You can download the GRIB files before you head out and it will give you 7 days of weather,sea temp etc that you can layover your charts.

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
GRIB ?..can you tell me what that stands for?. also...you say you can overlay? can I see an exmple, or good explaination?

Tmccar1

Lieutenant
Website
www.EastCoastWreckDiving.com
Boat Make
Magna
I've been looking into this also... I found this one Inmarsat IsatPhone Pro WIFI Package - Satellite Phone with RedPort Optimizer

Looks decent, and as long as you're not going to either of the poles the immarsats apparently work great.

I wanted to have wifi cameras hooked up to it so I could check out what was going on with the boat regardless of where it is and who's running her.

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
i have the furuno navnet 3D and with the sirius sattelite package you can download temp charts right to the plotter. works good, not as defined as a printed one from SST or somewhere, but if your on day #3, you can see where the edge has gone to or whats coming behind the edge you were fishing.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
i have the furuno navnet 3D and with the sirius sattelite package you can download temp charts right to the plotter. works good, not as defined as a printed one from SST or somewhere, but if your on day #3, you can see where the edge has gone to or whats coming behind the edge you were fishing.

i've noticed the sst charts are not all as accurate as paid sites

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral

greg

Captain
I have iridium, it's crazy expensive.

I have iridium also, but it never fails to connect with a bird, which is more than my friends with globalstar or the isatphone tell me.

Emergency service is $300 a year, which is all I need. I have made maybe one call on the thing in all the years I've owned it. I'll pay the $4.50 a minute if an emergency ever comes up.

If you want a 200 min plan though, the satstore seems to have them for $450 right now.

Both isatphone and globalstar seem to be more like ~$1/min for their prepaid cards. Irridium is usually over $2/min.

But airtime is the killer. With the phone in the link above, a 500 min 55mb plan is about $500. 55mb is not much when you start using web traffic. Just beware the costs to run these things.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I see they have satellite tv stuff for marine a few grand for the dish and it runs off dish network or whatever. Do they offer internet that way?

greg

Captain
I see they have satellite tv stuff for marine a few grand for the dish and it runs off dish network or whatever. Do they offer internet that way?

I'm pretty sure it is a separate system. You need an uplink for internet, and the tv dishes don't have one.

If you have an ssb radio, there are ways for people to fax you info or to use email. Not high res graphics, but someone on shore with a sharpie could probably get you the info in a way you can use it. At least that would be free....

Fvdestiny

Commander
Website
www.destinyfishingscharters.com
Boat Make
38 northern bay green stick boat/30 Calvin beal tuna boat/20 Seacraft Master Angler
Just installed KVH m1 total package with dish network and Internet. Tv wherever you go. I like it I like it a lot.gone baby gone ,destiny going and not coming back

Fvdestiny

Commander
Website
www.destinyfishingscharters.com
Boat Make
38 northern bay green stick boat/30 Calvin beal tuna boat/20 Seacraft Master Angler
Just installed KVH m1 total package with dish network and Internet. Tv wherever you go. I like it I like it a lot.gone baby gone ,destiny going and not coming back

I can see it now ,hey mike we got a bite,,, I,ll be like be there in a minute loosen the drag a bit. Haha

greg

Captain
I can see it now ,hey mike we got a bite,,, I,ll be like be there in a minute loosen the drag a bit. Haha

"Fishiiiingggg has bein beddy beddy goood to meeee" :p

Just curious if you had to install two domes, or an extra antenna for the internet piece? I haven't kept up with the systems because of the expense (and I don't need friggin oprah while fishing).

Congrats.

Top Bottom