Save the whales effort. Meetings

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I missed the one in Plymouth last night.

Apparently us lobsterman are the major reason all the whales are increasing in numbers at such a noticeable pace,,

I'd hate to think we are spending all that money and time we do for the sake of showing a good faith effort and it not really do anything or even get some sort of recognition for... I personally think everything we do and spend is a waist of little spare time I have and it hasn't had any benefit at all for the lobstermen or their industry..

Have there been any dead whales around over the past few years? Why do we do all this stuff then?

captcod

Lieutenant
um YEAH lots of entangled whales from fixed gear and that is the reason for the meetings....very scary stuff talking about closing vast areas of ocean but to think there arent any entanglements is crazy and im a full time commercial fisherman.....no fixed gear...

duxbait

Captain
In the cape we sure see a lot more whales that just wash up then entanglements, or dead whales with rope scars. Seems like once a year one swims into the anchor line out fishing... They flip out and bomb across the surface

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
um YEAH lots of entangled whales from fixed gear and that is the reason for the meetings....very scary stuff talking about closing vast areas of ocean but to think there arent any entanglements is crazy and im a full time commercial fisherman.....no fixed gear...

Where are the entanglements???????? How many dead whales has it caused?

Someone should know that sort of statistic??????????????????????????
Someone should know, How many lobster trap lines have killed whales and where??????

To say Whales have rope scares that were caused in Africa should have nothing to do with the East Coast or New England or Mid Atlantic...whatever the case may be.

If High speed whale watch boats crush 3 whales a year and they end up dead on a beach and no dead whales with rope around them never show up on the beach... wouldn't everyone involved with manipulating lobstermen be wasting everyones time , money and creating a much bigger carbon footprint.. Or is Carbon footprint a non issue all of a sudden?

Last edited:

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
In the cape we sure see a lot more whales that just wash up then entanglements, or dead whales with rope scars. Seems like once a year one swims into the anchor line out fishing... They flip out and bomb across the surface

Maybe they should make anchor lines with 600lb break away links. Put 3 red rings near the top. put 2 yellow rings half way and 2 black 3/4 way in the depth of water a boat is anchored? Then have purple rings every 10 feet starting at the anchor for the whole length of anchor line. That way the people can know what depth the whale got entangles, what part of the anchor line it happened, top middle or bottom. Also a yellow and orange ribbon For the month of Jan. 2 of the same color for the second week ,,3 for week three, 4 for week four.4 for weel five if it so applies.. The blue and black ribbons for Feb and so on. that way they can know how long a whale was entangled. Then to make more jobs for these people and eliminate more commercial fishermen, Maybe the should have areas, Increase the buoy lines. Maybe create zones.. Traps must be singles within 3 miles .. Just think of all the new people they would have to hire to watch all those new buoy lines!

Otter5

Lieutenant
Boat Make
31' JC pilothouse(for sale) 25' General Marine
Maybe they should make anchor lines with 600lb break away links. Put 3 red rings near the top. put 2 yellow rings half way and 2 black 3/4 way in the depth of water a boat is anchored? Then have purple rings every 10 feet starting at the anchor for the whole length of anchor line. That way the people can know what depth the whale got entangles, what part of the anchor line it happened, top middle or bottom. Also a yellow and orange ribbon For the month of Jan. 2 of the same color for the second week ,,3 for week three, 4 for week four.4 for weel five if it so applies.. The blue and black ribbons for Feb and so on. that way they can know how long a whale was entangled. Then to make more jobs for these people and eliminate more commercial fishermen, Maybe the should have areas, Increase the buoy lines. Maybe create zones.. Traps must be singles within 3 miles .. Just think of all the new people they would have to hire to watch all those new buoy lines!
The Feds would screw that up also- watching rope.

daytripper

Lieutenant Commander
No fixed gear? How are you going to fish traps? Year round fisherman? Not for lobster I can tell. What do you do?

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I've been through the ringer a few more times than I should have so I'm wise to it now..... I think:D

What they do as ask for the moon and when there requests get slashed to next to nothing.. it is still more than what they were expecting . so they win and fishermen loose.

The thing we as fishermen should insist on is having a in place return to normal clause . If they can't come up with any constructive meaning with proof for all the work we are doing for them that we don't get paid for. the regulations should go back to the way it was before they screwed everything up. Everyone who works for the government gets paid for what they do. we should get paid to do what they request. They get retro active pay. We should be reimbursed for the years of time and money we have invest for their benefit. It hasn't benefitted fishermen in any way. There is supposed to be all these whale lovers. Where are they when its time to paint a few hundred buoys because they float off with 600lb of resistance. They should be supplying all the equipment , dodads and labor that they want use to use and to restock the supplies as needed. I don't know why it is the fishermans job to save the whales when fishermen have little to no effect on the whale population. I have never had a whale tangled in any of my buoy lines nor am I aware of any fishermen in my immediate area or surrounding harbors that have had line tangled with whales in all the years I have been fishing. There use to be wayyyyyyyyyyyy more buoy lines out there than there is now. They should go chase the problem if they are really concerned about the whales.

If anyone personally had a whale or whales tangled in there lines //please speak up.

I have only heard that it has happened. I doesn't happen often even by here say.

Last edited:

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral

Yes. That is the only one I ever heard of.

It made me wonder how all those whales didn't get stuck for all those other years.

That must have been one sick whale or almost dead whale to begin with.

So only one dead whale around here in a hundreds years that was probably dead or about to be dead to begin with.

Pretty poor statistic to be attacking fishermen over when thousands of whales have died from other sources.

Top Bottom